Thursday, January 8, 2015

elvis presley











Elvis Aaron Presley

 (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977) 



The King changed the world with his integration of musical styles, electrifying performances, and larger than life movie star persona.  Born in Tupelo, Mississippi; he got his first guitar at the age of eleven, and two years later his family moved to Memphis.  It was there that he began his recording career with with producer Sam Phillips at Sun Records at the age of nineteen.  After five singles, his contract was bought out by RCA Victor in a lucrative deal arranged by his manager Colonel Tom Parker.  His fusion of country music with R&B became a huge hit, paving the way for black artists and defining rock and roll, even as it drew controversy for his wild gyrations that earned him the nickname 'Elvis the pelvis'.  He became a film star as his manager brokered deals to capitalize on his unprecedented success.  Two years in the army did not affect his popularity.  After a decade of focusing on films, Presley regained his musical credibility with a television special in 1968, acclaimed studio sessions in Memphis and Nashville, and a series of live shows that reaffirmed his stature as an icon.  Prescription drugs took a toll on his health and he died of a heart attack at the age of forty-two, just as punk rock and disco were taking music in different directions.  


Presley would consider the provocative nature of his music:   "Rock 'n' roll has been around for many years. It used to be called rhythm and blues ... The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I'm doin' now, man, for more years than I know. I got it from them...I happened to come along in the music business when there was no trend...Rock and roll music, if you like it, if you feel it, you can't help but move to it. That's what happens to me. I can't help it...I'm not trying to be sexy. It's just my way of expressing myself when I move around...I don't do any vulgar movements...Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over."


Elvis remains the biggest selling solo artist of all time with over six hundred million units sold worldwide.  During his career from 1954 to 1978 Presley's US releases consisted of one hundred and two singles, thirty extended-play singles, and seventy albums (from Elvis Presley  to Moody Blue) on RCA Records;   as well as four albums on the Pickwick budget label;   and five singles on the Sun Records label.  In addition, he starred in thirty-three feature films.    His influence on popular culture cannot be overstated.  Elvis is everywhere!









http://www.elvis.com/







"Blue Suede Shoes" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5HKlQ6nGM






"Baby Let's Play House"







"Heartbreak Hotel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4euyTDhFnk




"Love Me Tender"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHaTQFKvnY




"Jailhouse Rock"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDID_E0FDUU






"Viva Las Vegas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui0EgRsFVN8





"A Little Less Conversation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCWVNaX6-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVMXLSS1cA





"Lawdy Miss Clawdy"





"If I Can Dream"





"In the Ghetto"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2En0ZyjQgU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ox1Tore9nw




"Suspicious Minds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQF5IBnQte8










"Burning Love"


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7I4DfUGM4






"Put Your Hand in the Hand"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ42j9u-CO4





"Promised Land"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zovB080w3r0










Singles:


1954 

"That's All Right"/ "Blue Moon of Kentucky"
"Good Rocking Tonight"
"I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine" seventy-four on the US pop chart
"Milk Cow Blues Boogie"
"You're a Heartbreaker"

1955
"Baby Let's Play House" went to number five on the US country chart
"I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone"
"I Forgot to Remember to Forget" his first number one on the US country chart
"Mystery Train" number ten on the US country chart

1956 
"Heartbreak Hotel" number one on US pop and country charts
"I Was the One"
"Blue Suede Shoes" number twenty on US pop chart
"I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" three on pop, one on country
"My Baby Left Me"
"Don't Be Cruel"  number one on pop, country, and R&B charts
"Hound Dog"  number two on pop, number one on  country, and R&B charts
"Tutti Frutti"
"I Got A Woman"
"I'm Counting on You"
"I'll Never Let You Go (Lil' Darlin')"
"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry (Over You)"
"I Love You Because"
"Tryin' to Get to You"
"Just Because"
"Blue Moon"
"Money Honey"
"One-Sided Love Affair"
"Shake, Rattle and Roll"
"Lawdy Miss Clawdy"
"Love Me Tender" number one pop
"Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)"
"Love Me" number two pop
"When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again" nineteen pop
"Paralyzed"
"Old Shep"
"Poor Boy"

1957
"Too Much" number two pop, three country
"Playing for Keeps" thirty-four pop, eight country
"All Shook Up" number one  pop, country, and R&B charts
"Peace in the Valley" twenty five pop
"That's When Your Heartaches Begin" fifty eight pop
"(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" number one  pop, country, and R&B charts
"Mean Woman Blues" eleven  country, and R&B charts
"Loving You"
"Jailhouse Rock"  number one  pop, country, and R&B charts
"Treat Me Nice"
"(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" fourteen R&B chart

1958 
"Don't" number one  pop
"I Beg of You" eight on pop, four on country
"Wear My Ring Around Your Neck" three on pop and country, one on  R&B 
"Doncha' Think It's Time"
"Hard Headed Woman" two on  pop, country, and R&B charts
"Don't Ask Me Why"
"One Night" four on pop
"I Got Stung" eight on pop

1959 
"(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I" number two pop
"I Need Your Love Tonight" four pop
"A Big Hunk o' Love" one on pop
"My Wish Came True"

1960 

"Stuck on You" number one pop
"Fame and Fortune"
"It's Now or Never" number one pop
"A Mess of Blues"
"Are You Lonesome Tonight?" number one pop
"I Gotta Know" 

1961 
"Surrender" number one pop
"Lonely Man"
"Flaming Star"
"I Feel So Bad" five pop
"Wild in the Country"
"(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame"  four pop, three R&B 
"Little Sister" five pop
"Can't Help Falling in Love" two pop, one adult contemporary

1962 "
Rock-A-Hula Baby" twenty three pop
"Good Luck Charm" number one pop
"Anything That's Part of You" thirty one pop
"Follow That Dream" fifteen pop
"She's Not You" five pop
"Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello"
"King of the Whole Wide World"
"Return to Sender" two pop, five R&B
"Where Do You Come From"

1963 
"One Broken Heart for Sale" eleven pop
"They Remind Me Too Much of You"
"(You're The) Devil in Disguise" three pop
"Please Don't Drag That String Around"
"Bossa Nova Baby" eight pop
"Witchcraft" thirty two pop

1964 
"Kissin' Cousins" twelve pop
"It Hurts Me" twenty nine pop
"Kiss Me Quick"
"Suspicion"
"What'd I Say" twenty one pop
"Viva Las Vegas" twenty nine pop
"Such a Night" sixteen pop
"Never Ending"
"Ask Me" twelve pop
"Ain't That Loving You Baby" sixteen pop
"Blue Christmas"

1965 
"Do the Clam"
"You'll Be Gone"
"Crying in the Chapel" three pop
"I Believe in the Man in the Sky"
"(Such an) Easy Question" eleven pop
"It Feels So Right" 
"I'm Yours" eleven pop
"(It's a) Long Lonely Highway"
"Puppet on a String" fourteen pop
"Santa Claus Is Back in Town"

1966 
"Tell Me Why" thirty three pop
"Blue River"
"Joshua Fit the Battle"
"Known Only to Him"
"Milky White Way"
"Swing Down Sweet Chariot"
"Frankie and Johnny" twenty five pop
"Please Don't Stop Loving Me"
"Love Letters" nineteen pop
"Come What May"
"Spinout" forty pop
"All That I Am"
"If Every Day Was Like Christmas"
"How Would You Like to Be"

1967 
"Indescribably Blue" thirty three pop
"Fools Fall in Love"
"Long Legged Girl (with the Short Dress On)"
"That's Someone You Never Forget"
"There's Always Me"
"Judy"
"Big Boss Man" thirty eight pop
"You Don't Know Me"

1968 
"Guitar Man" forty three pop
"Hi-Heel Sneakers"
"U.S. Male" twenty eight pop
"Stay Away"
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
"We Call on Him"
"Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby"
"Let Yourself Go"
"A Little Less Conversation"
"Almost in Love"
"If I Can Dream" twelve pop
"Edge of Reality"

1969 
"Memories" thirty five pop
"Charro"
"How Great Thou Art"
"In the Ghetto" three pop
"Any Day Now"
"Clean Up Your Own Backyard"
"The Fair Is Moving On"
"Suspicious Minds" number one pop
"You'll Think of Me"
"Don't Cry Daddy"  six pop
"Rubberneckin'"

1970 

"Kentucky Rain" sixteen pop, three adult contemporary
"My Little Friend"
"The Wonder of You" nine pop, one adult contemporary
"Mama Liked the Roses"
"I've Lost You" thirty two pop
"The Next Step Is Love"
"You Don't Have to Say You Love Me"  eleven pop, one adult contemporary
"Patch It Up"
"I Really Don't Want to Know" twenty one pop, two adult contemporary
"There Goes My Everything" nine country

1971 
"Rags to Riches" thirty three pop
"Where Did They Go, Lord" eighteen country
"Life" eight adult contemporary
"Only Believe"
"I'm Leavin'" thirty six pop
"Heart of Rome"
"It's Only Love" nineteen adult contemporary
"The Sound of Your Cry"
"Merry Christmas Baby"
"O Come All Ye Faithful"

1972 
"Until It's Time for You to Go" forty pop, nine adult contemporary
"We Can Make the Morning"
"He Touched Me"
"Bosom of Abraham"
"An American Trilogy" thirty one adult contemporary
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
"Burning Love" two pop
"It's a Matter of Time"
"Separate Ways" three adult contemporary
"Always on My Mind" sixteen country

1973 
"Steamroller Blues" seventeen pop
"Fool" twelve adult contemporary
"Raised on Rock" twenty seven adult contemporary
"For Ol' Times Sake"

1974 
"I've Got a Thing About You Baby" thirty nine pop, four country
"Take Good Care of Her" twenty seven adult contemporary
"If You Talk in Your Sleep" seventeen pop, six adult contemporary
"Help Me" six country
"Promised Land" fourteen pop
"It's Midnight"

1975 
"My Boy" one adult contemporary
"Thinking About You"
"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" thirty five pop, eleven country
"Mr. Songman"
"Bringing It Back"
"Pieces of My Life"  thirty three country

1976 
"Hurt" twenty eight pop, six country, eight adult contemporary
"For the Heart"
"Moody Blue" thirty one pop, one country, two adult contemporary
"She Thinks I Still Care"

1977 
"Way Down" eighteen pop, one country, fourteen adult contemporary
"Pledging My Love"
"My Way" twenty two pop, two country, six adult contemporary
"America the Beautiful"

1978 
"Unchained Melody" six country
"Softly as I Leave You"



No comments:

Post a Comment