Thursday, January 29, 2015

naturally








Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings took their heavy funk and soul revival to the next level with the instinctive and irresistible grooves of this sultry sophomore sensation.  The group had formed in Brooklyn, New York from the ashes of the Soul Providers and Desco Records, when Gabriel Roth (aka Bosco Mann) and Neal Sugarman  started Daptone Records.  Roth and Sugarman also formed a new band The Dap-Kings and recorded 'Dap Dippin' with Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings'

Jones says:  "Until the ’90s, major labels were looking for a certain look. This Sony guy told me I was "too black, too fat, too short, and too old." Told me to go and bleach my skin. Told me to step in the background and just stay back. I had the voice, but I didn't have the looks. I knew that God had blessed me with a gift, so that's when I went and took jobs in corrections [at Riker's Island], sanitation, postal offices. You couldn't be in any kind of musical career and work in corrections too. You're working on the wheel, 11 at night till 8 in the morning, then the next time you're on at 8 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. I left there and went to Wells Fargo to work security. I was still doing the Wells Fargo thing when I met the Dap-Kings, and that's it. I just thought, "One day. One day." And that day came when I met those guys."



Their second album, 'Naturally' was recorded on a sixteen track analogue tape machine at the new Daptone Recording Studio with Sharon Jones on vocals;   El Michels on baritone saxophone;  Neal Sugarman on tenor saxophone;  Dave Guy on trumpet;  Homer "Funky-Foot" Steiweiss on drums;  emcee Binky Griptite on guitar and , and back-up vocals;  Boogaloo Velez on congas; Tommy "TNT" Brenneck on guitar and piano; and bandleader and producer Bosco "Bass" Mann on bass, piano, vibes, tambourine;   with Lee Fields lending guest vocals to "Stranded in Your Love";  Alex Kadvan and cello;  Antoine Silverman and Entcho Todorov on violin;   Stuart D. Bogie on jaw harp on "Fish In My Dish";  and Earl Maxton (Vicktor Axelrod) on organ on "All Over Again".   

Roth reveals:   "I was never really that ambitious with the music stuff. We were just trying to make good records for fun. And me and my friend Phillip [Lehman], and my friend Mike Wagner, we were just messing around, man. Just like a lot of people, we were in a basement or in a friend’s studio or something. Just recording, just kind of doing it ourselves. It came out of that. We weren’t really taking anything that seriously. It wasn’t like we were gonna hire engineers or producers or arrangers or anything. We were just jammin’, just making up songs and recording them ourselves and stuff like that...Sometimes I’m doing interviews and stuff and people talk about me being a White kid trying to make soul music, or Black music, and stuff like this. I really, personally, never tried to be somebody I’m not. Or tried to emulate some music, or tried to steal some history or tradition that I’m not a part of. What I try to do is make records that sound good to me and make honest records. I really try to write with my heart and play with my heart. I think the reason why we’ve been successful is that I’ve really been able to surround myself with a lot of singers and musicians that are able to play from the heart and play with some sincerity. Whether it’s Otis Redding, or Fela, or Mavis Staples, in any of its many forms, I think soul music is just music that comes from the heart. It’s pure music. I think the way Sharon usually puts it is, “What comes from the heart reaches the heart.” I think that’s what soul music is about, really."






sharonjonesandthedapkings.com

https://daptonerecords.com/








"How Do I Let a Good Man Down?"




"Stranded in Your Love" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AViRz8ViPmo




"This Land Is Your Land"









"You're Gonna Get It"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ugM73jsCkw






"Things Got To Get Better" Marva Whitney cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5oWJEJBmxE












 'Naturally' 
full album:
http://www.last.fm/music/Sharon+Jones+and+the+Dap-Kings/Naturally

https://sharonjonesandthedapkings.bandcamp.com/album/naturally




All songs written by Bosco Mann, except as noted.
"How Do I Let a Good Man Down?" – 3:02
"Natural Born Lover" – 3:04
"Stranded in Your Love" – 5:47
"My Man Is a Mean Man" – 3:16
"You're Gonna Get It" – 4:59
"How Long Do I Have to Wait for You?" – 4:03
"This Land Is Your Land" (Woody Guthrie) – 4:31
"Your Thing Is a Drag" – 3:33
"Fish in the Dish" – 3:18
"All Over Again" – 4:43

No comments:

Post a Comment