Saturday, January 17, 2015

lcd soundsystem







LCD Soundsystem transformed tired sucker tribulations into disco thrash thrills on repeat with the reappropriated eclectic beat movement of this liquid crystal display.     DFA (Death From Above) Records founders and production team James Murphy and Tim Goldsworthy started the group in New York City in 2001 and spent years building a following with house parties, singles, and remixes of songs like The Rapture's "House of Jealous Lovers" before releasing their eponymous double disk debut.  

'LCD Soundsystem' features James Murphy on vocals, bass guitar, percussion, synthesizer, programming, guitar, keyboards, and clavinet;   Pat Mahoney on drums, percussion, and synthesizer;   Nancy Whang on vocals;   Gavin Russom on synthesizer;   Tyler Pope on bass guitar;   and Michael Lapierre as engineer;   with   Tim Goldsworthy on bass guitar, bass synthesizer, and programming;   Mandy Coon on vocals;   and Eric Broucek on vocals, programming, percussion, guitar, and handclaps.   




'LCD Soundsystem' hit fifty-one in France, forty-one in Sweden, forty in Finland, twenty-eight in the Netherlands, twenty in the UK, and number six in Belgium and on the US Dance/Electronic album chart.  'LCD Soundsystem' received two nominations for Grammy awards in the Electronica category and one in the Dance category for "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House."    Still, the group drew criticism for it appropriation of lyrics and grooves from other bands.  Murphy would respond:    "I feel like I'm so hard on myself about what I can accept myself doing. And so vicious about what I'll allow myself to adjust to, that playing something that reminds someone of something else is so low on my worry list. It's so minimal of a concern that I'm not-- I bust my ass so hard to deal with other things. Gestures of rock in the vocals, the rock gesture in the production, the manipulation of sound, sound being the manipulator in terms of cool versus sound being a manipulator in terms of your body. This is the stuff that Tim [Goldsworthy of DFA] and I just fucking obsess about. So worrying about whether it sounds too much like this or sounds too much like that-- I'm doing something else so much. If you play jazz and you're a good jazz player and take what you're doing very seriously-- you play other people's songs all the time, it's what you do. And it's how you interpret them and how you deal with them-- you never think of yourself as a cover band. That criteria doesn't mean that much in that world. And I feel like I'm not a centralist.     I don't think that I'm a great songwriter, I don't believe I'm this wildly original individual. I don't believe that I'm astonishingly charismatic and really need to be heard as an individual voice. I do believe I take music very seriously. I do believe I am a very good manipulator of sound and I'm very interested in how sound affects my body and I do believe that that is relevant to how that affects other people's bodies.     And the way I look at music and musicians and the music business and how important music can be to people is at the moment not special but a little unusual. Partially because I got through a lot of stages of business and I'm re-engaging and trying to make something that gets to different kids in a different way instead of what someone else is doing very proud of themselves and is being written about or looking cool. My goals don't really-- I don't really care if I have a guitar solo that sounds like George Harrison. I do some of that on purpose as a way of playing with my own ideas or confronting myself. That's not the criteria for me. I'm not wandering under a banner of originality or a myth of no influences. There's no purity in what I'm doing. It's just not that relevant."






http://lcdsoundsystem.com/








Losing My Edge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xG4oFny2Pk


Yeah, I'm losing my edge. 
I'm losing my edge. 
The kids are coming up from behind. 
I'm losing my edge. 
I'm losing my edge to the kids from France and from London. 
But I was there. 

I was there in 1968. 
I was there at the first Can show in Cologne. 
I'm losing my edge. 
I'm losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks. 
I'm losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978. 
I'm losing my edge. 

To all the kids in Tokyo and Berlin. 
I'm losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties. 

But I'm losing my edge. 
I'm losing my edge, but I was there. 
I was there. 
But I was there. 

I'm losing my edge. 
I'm losing my edge. 
I can hear the footsteps every night on the decks. 
But I was there. 
I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City. 
I was working on the organ sounds with much patience. 
I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band. 
I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime." 
I was there. 
I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids. 
I played it at CBGB's. 
Everybody thought I was crazy. 
We all know. 
I was there. 
I was there. 
I've never been wrong. 

I used to work in the record store. 
I had everything before anyone. 
I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan. 
I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes. 
I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988. 

But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent. 
And they're actually really, really nice. 

I'm losing my edge. 

I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of Every Niagra record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit Techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and Another box set from the '70s. 

I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record. 

I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables. 
I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars. 

I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know. 

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual harassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra, 

Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra, 
Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc, 

Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics. 

You don't know what you really want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNA-4tnM_xY







Disco Infiltrator
"I hate music videos. Most of them anyway. I don't find them very interesting they seem really undignified. I love our new one - although I directed it. I wanted to make something that really showed what the band was like so I hired a documentary crew to follow us around for the whole day leading up to a gig. So we ride a subway, go to the bank and stuff like that. I love the mundane nature of it. It's confusing I guess but it's better than one with some guy who's got a tie and a haircut playing the guitar like he's really feeling it."










'LCD Soundsystem'
full album:






All songs written by James Murphy unless otherwise noted.

Disc 1
00:00 1) Daft Punk Is Playing At My House
05:17 2) Too Much Love
10:59 3) Tribulations
16:04 4) Movement
19:10 5) Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up
23:59 6) On Repeat
32:02 7) Thrills
35:45 8) Disco Infiltrator
40:41 9) Great Release

Disc 2
47:16 10) Losing My Edge
55:09 11) Beat Connection  (Murphy, Tim Goldsworthy)
01:03:17 12) Give It Up
01:07:12 13) Tired   (Murphy, Pat Mahoney)
01:10:46 14) Yeah (Crass Version)  (Murphy, Goldsworthy) 
01:20:08 15) Yeah (Pretentious Version)    (Murphy, Goldsworthy) 

01:31:14 16) Yr City's A Sucker










No comments:

Post a Comment