These musical revolutionaries turned out their strangest mindfunk of all. Switching back and forth from Parliment to Funkadelic, George Clinton, Eddie Hazel, Tawl Ross, Bernie Worrell, Billy Bass Nelson, and Tiki Fulwood (with a little help from Fuzzy Haskins, Calvin Simon, Grady Thomas, and Ray Davis) made something completely unique with 'Maggot Brain' by blending heavy funk with pychedelic rock, mixed in gospel, blues, folk, country; and threw in wild sound effects, because that's the way they roll.
The raw emotional quality of Eddie Hazel's slow building, mind melting, wah wah guitarwork on the amazing title track is like jazz.
"Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time, cause y'all have knocked her up."
'Can You Get To That?'
"When you base your life on credit
And your loving days are done
Checks you signed with love and kisses
Later come back signed 'insufficient funds'"
'Hit It And Quit It'
"You can shake it to the east
Shake it to the west
Good god, hit it and quit it
You can shake it to the one you love the best"
'You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks'
"If you and your folks love me and my folks like
Me and my folks love you and your folks
If there ever was folks
That ever ever was poor"
The hip shaking 'Wars Of Armageddon' uses crying babies, cuckoo clocks, canned laughter, and bomb blasts to make its funky point.
"Look at that pollution!
It's a fat funky person"
1. "Maggot Brain" Edward Hazel, George Clinton 10:20
2. "Can You Get to That" George Clinton, Ernest Harris 2:50
3. "Hit It and Quit It" George Clinton, William Nelson 3:50
4. "You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks" George Clinton, Clarence Haskins, William Nelson, Bernard Worrell, Judie Jones 3:36
5. "Super Stupid" Edward Hazel, Lucious Ross, William Nelson, George Clinton 3:57
6. "Back in Our Minds" Clarence Haskins 2:38
7. "Wars of Armageddon" Ramon Fulwood, Lucious Ross, George Clinton, Bernard Worrell 9:42