Thursday, March 15, 2012

evergreen







The Love Theme from 'A Star Is Born' brought Barbra Streisand back to the top of the charts, gave her another Grammy, another Oscar, and her first Golden Globe. Streisand and Paul Williams wrote this song together for the third film adaptation of a story by William A. Wellman and Robert Carson. Williams remembers the writing process with Streisand: "She sat down and played on a guitar, the melody for 'Evergreen' that she'd written. It was just such a beautiful melody. I said, 'There's your love song. There's the big love song.' I asked her for the melody. She put it on tape for me, and I took it home. I actually wrote that as the last thing, which I think bothered her. But all the Kris Kristofferson stuff was the first thing up on the shoot schedule. So I wrote the songs for Kris first...You know, Barbra recorded two or three of my songs before we did 'A Star Is Born'. People would always ask, 'Were you nervous about writing the Streisand music?' Of course, she's an amazing talent. But to sit down and write songs and to play songs for Kris... I mean, this is the man who wrote 'Sunday Morning Coming Down,' 'Me And Bobby McGee.' It was wonderful. Kris was great about the songs. But the very last thing that I wrote was 'Evergreen.' I gave that to Barbra, and then hit the road and didn't look back...I actually wrote those first two lines in the opposite order. I wrote 'Love, fresh as the morning air, love soft as an easy chair.' I called Barbra as I was getting on a plane to go on tour with Olivia Newton-John. We were doing a six-week tour, and Barbra was in Arizona getting ready to start filming A Star Is Born. I called her and said, 'You know what, flip those two first lines, because it sings better.' 'Love, soft as an easy chair, love, fresh as the morning air.' 'Morning' sang better at that point in the song. And I remember saying to Barbra, 'They'll probably laugh us out of the theaters for starting a love song with a line about a chair, but I think it works better that way.' And I think it was the biggest-selling soundtrack album ever at that time, and of course the song won the triple crown: the Oscar, the Grammy, and the Golden Globe."













Love soft as an easy chair
Love fresh as the morning air
One love that is shared by two
I have found with you
Like a rose under the April snow
I was always certain love would grow
Love ageless and evergreen
Seldom seen by two
You and I will
make each night the first
Everyday a beginning
Spirits rise and their dance is unrehearsed
They warm and excite us
'Cause we have the brightest love
Two lights that shine as one Morning glory and midnight sun
Time... we've learned to sail above
Time... won't change the meaning of one love
Ageless and ever evergreen...








No comments:

Post a Comment