Monday, March 5, 2012

freeze frame












After years of working the club circuit, the J. Geils Band finally hit the big time with new wave infusion of their twelfth album. 'Freeze Frame' was recorded at the studio at the converted Long View Farm in North Brookfield, MA. Peter Wolf and Seth Justman co-wrote four of the songs; and Justman wrote the rest of them on his own and produced the album. Wolf remembers: "One of the things about the Geils Band, we really weren't that ambitious about having a zillion seller or something. We never really went into rock'n'roll to make money, we went into rock'n'roll so maybe we didn't have to work 9 to 5. It was probably the happiest time in my life, because we were doing tours where every place was sold out and thatʼs a performers dream... All the touring, all the one nighters and all the driving in station wagons and sleeping in funky hotels and funky dressing rooms, finally, there was a certain sense of respect coming back to the band." 'Freeze Frame' was the band's first album to chart in the UK at number twelve and went to the top of the album chart in the US, owing much to the popularity of videos played on MTV.





'Freeze Frame'

"Now I'm lookin' at a flashback Sunday
zoom lens feelings
just won't disappear
Close-up darkroom
sweet talk in my ear
Her hot spot love
for me is strong
This freeze-frame
moment can't be wrong"





'Centerfold' became an international hit, going to number three in the UK and
number one in Canada and the US.


"Does she walk? Does she talk?
Does she come complete?
My homeroom homeroom angel
Always pulled me from my seat
She was pure like snowflakes
No one could ever stain
The memory of my angel
Could never cause me pain
Years go by I'm lookin' through a girly magazine
And there's my homeroom angel on the pages in between
My blood runs cold my memory has just been sold
My angel is the centerfold"






'Angel in Blue'

"And the bees they had stung her
The birds they had flown
There were guys she could number
But none had she known
And she never had dreams
So they never came true
Oh my fade away angel
Angel in blue"









'Freeze Frame' 
full album:



All songs written by Seth Justman except where noted.

Side one
"Freeze-Frame" (Justman, Peter Wolf) – 4:01
"Rage in the Cage" (Justman, Wolf) – 4:56
"Centerfold" – 3:36
"Do You Remember When" (Justman, Wolf) – 4:45
"Insane, Insane Again" – 4:43
Side two
"Flamethrower" – 4:58
"River Blindness" – 6:06
"Angel in Blue" – 4:51
"Piss on the Wall" (Justman, Wolf) – 3:02









No comments:

Post a Comment