Monday, March 12, 2012

something/anything?







Studio mastermind Todd Rundgren came into his own with the diverse pop perfection of this double-album magnum opus. 'Something/Anything?' was mostly recorded in Los Angeles with Rundgren playing all of the instruments. After an earthquake he relocated to New York and recorded the rest with session musicians. 



Rundgren says: "two tendencies, a more disciplined approach and more eclecticism, came to a head. I almost wrote automatically, I was almost possessed. Most people struggle their entire careers for that state. By the time I got to the end of 'Something/Anything?' I’d listen to it and hear the sameness. It was a snapshot of where I was at the time... I didn’t have much a concept other than that one side should be live. It was originally meant to be a single LP but I continued to write after recording and added things on. Then I thought, ‘I don’t know if I can stretch this one-man band thing into four sides’, so I did the live side. Sometimes I’d record all day, come home at night and carry on, do goofy experiments like 'I Went to the Mirror'. In some senses, most of my early recordings reflected the evolution in drug culture. A psychedelic friend gave me a bottle of Ritalin and said ‘why don’t you give it a try?’ It got my brain into another gear – eight hours in the studio then work on the eight-track at home all night – doing double-duty – then went back to New York." 





In the liner notes, the first side of the album is described as "a bouquet of ear-catching melodies", the second as "the cerebral side", the third as "The kid gets heavy", and the fourth is titled "Baby Needs a New Pair of Snakeskin Boots (A Pop Operetta)". The music runs the gamut from Stevie Wonder and Jimi Hendrix to the Beach Boys and the Beatles with classic torch songs, funk and soul, psychedelia, power pop, and wild studio experimentation. 

'Something/Anything?' peaked at number twenty-nine on the US album chart and eventually was certified gold.






http://www.todd-rundgren.com/

























Rundgren calls 'Saving Grace' "the theme song of a generation...We were long-haired hippy draft dodgers – the tune in, turn on generation."

"I think I'm gonna love it
I know they won't believe it
When they finally see the saving grace in me"













'Little Red Lights' is a tribute to Jimi Hendrix. Rundgren says, "It was also about that drunken power when you get behind the wheel. There was no political element but it was a possible precursor to Crosstown Traffic. I learned a lot in a very fast time. Previously I’d led a bit of a sheltered existence – no drugs or liquor until I was twenty-one. I didn’t learn to drive until I had no one else to drive me around. Never had any lessons. I probably borrowed something from Tony Sales then rented cars for a while."

"You got to ease into line boy
But once I hit the open road
I'll be sailing off and on my own"














full album:







All songs written by Todd Rundgren except as indicated.

Side one
"I Saw the Light" – 2:56
"It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" – 3:50
"Wolfman Jack" – 2:54
"Cold Morning Light" – 3:55
"It Takes Two to Tango (This Is for the Girls)" – 2:41
"Sweeter Memories" – 3:36
Side two
"Intro" – 1:11
"Breathless" – 3:15
"The Night the Carousel Burnt Down" – 4:29
"Saving Grace" – 4:12
"Marlene" – 3:54
"Song of the Viking" – 2:35
"I Went to the Mirror" – 4:05
Side three
"Black Maria" – 5:20
"One More Day (No Word)" – 3:43
"Couldn't I Just Tell You" – 3:34
"Torch Song" – 2:52
"Little Red Lights" – 4:53
Side four
"Overture–My Roots: Money (That's What I Want)/Messin' With The Kid" (Janie Bradford, Berry Gordy, Jr., Mel London) – 2:29
"Dust in the Wind" (Mark Klingman) – 3:49
"Piss Aaron" – 3:26
"Hello It's Me" – 4:42
"Some Folks Is Even Whiter Than Me" – 3:56
"You Left Me Sore" – 3:13
"Slut" – 4:03




No comments:

Post a Comment