Saturday, September 24, 2011

nevermind









Nirvana took a new drummer, a new producer, and a new label to the top of the charts and grunged up the mainstream with the sonic onslaught of this slick slacker punk rock. The band started working with Butch Vig upon the suggestion of Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth. Cobain lost his voice during the first sessions at Smart Studios in Madison, Wisconsin and, since SubPop was going to be bought out, ended up using the tracks to woo major labels. They signed with Geffen and insisted on working with Vig again. In the meantime, Dave Grohl joined the band when Chad Channing left over creative differences. They recorded the album during new sessions at Sound City Studios inVan Nuys, California. The sound is cleaner than anything the band ever did, with Vig and mixer Andy Wallace using all sorts of studio tricks to create an album that transcends the genre of grunge with its thunderous roar, its dynamic shifts from a whisper to a scream, and its intense emotional integrity.



'Nevermind' suprised everyone by becoming a huge international smash, selling over thirty million copies worldwide and hitting the top of the album charts in Canada, Sweden,and the US. It made alternative rock the sound of the next decade and paved the way for a generation of bands.






http://www.nirvana.com/








Allegedly, one of the members of Bikini Kill told Kurt that he smelled like the deodorant Teen Spirit, inspiring the title of the song. 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was a shot heard 'round the world, hitting number one in Belgium, France, New Zealand, and the US Modern Rock Tracks chart and propelling the album to the top of the charts.

"With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now; entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now; entertain us
A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey"






'In Bloom' addresses aggressive scenesters who miss the point of the music.

"He's the one
Who likes all the pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means"






The contradictory 'Come As You Are' peaked at number three in New Zealand and on the US Modern Rock and Mainstream Rock charts.

"Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach, as I want you to be;
As a trend, as a friend as an old memori-a, memori -a,
And I swear that I don't have a gun."






'Lithium' describes the mood swings involved in Cobain's bi-polar disorder. It reached number three in Finland.

"I'm so happy because today
I've found my friends
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay, cause so are you
We've broken our mirrors
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care
And I'm not scared
Light my candles in a daze
'Cause I've found God"






According to Cobain, 'On A Plain' is "classic alienation".

"The finest day
That I ever had
Was when I learned
To cry on command
Love myself
Better than you
I know it's wrong
So what should I do?"








'Nevermind'
full album













No comments:

Post a Comment