Thursday, September 22, 2011

discipline










These progressive rock pioneers emerged from seven years of hibernation with this dark and lovely new wave jazz funk. Robert Fripp and Bill Bruford joined forces with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin and called themselves Discipline. By the time the sessions were done, the band was using the name King Crimson and the album was 'Discipline'. The music is innovative and entertaining, with a level of instrumental virtuosity that is downright jawdropping, a sense of humor that doesn't go too far, and an ambient grace that is achingly beautiful. 'Discipline' made it to number forty five on the US album chart.


'Elephant Talk' is centered around Tony Levin's Chapman stick and Adrian Belew's alliterative synonyms.

"Talk! It's only talk!"



King Crimson - Elephant Talk from Leo Lopes 108 on Vimeo.









The polyrhythmic 'Frame By Frame' displays the wonders of Frippertronics.

"Frame by frame (Suddenly)
Death by drowning (from within)
In your, in your analysis.
Step by step (Suddenly)
Doubt by numbers (from within)
In your, in your analysis"






"Indiscipline" is combustible industrial funk monster that collapses into a whispered narrative (inspired by a letter from Belew's wife about a sculpture she was making) before erupting again.

"I was so involved
I didn't know what to think.
I carried it around with me for days and days..
Playing little games
Like not looking at it for a whole day
And then.. looking at it.
To see if I still liked it.
I did."






"Thela Hun Ginjeet" is an anagram of "heat in the jungle". In it Adrian Belew tells the story of how he got mugged on his way to the studio that day.

"And it said, "He held a gun in his hand. This is a dangerous place."
They said, "What dangerous place?" "What gun?" "You're a policeman!"
And the deeper I talked, the worse I got into it.
I talked, I told him... I said, "Look man, I'm not talkin'...."
It went on forever.
Anyway, I finally unbuttoned my shirt, and said,
"look, look... I'm in this band, you know, I'm in this band you know,
and we're makin' a recording, you know.
It's about New York City, it's about crime in the streets..."
The explanation was going nowhere, but,
Finally, they just kinda let me go, I don't know why.
So I walk around the corner,
and I'm like shakin' like a leaf,
and I thought, "This is a dangerous place""











'Discipline'
full album:





All songs written by Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford, Robert Fripp and Tony Levin.

Side A
1. "Elephant Talk" 4:43
2. "Frame by Frame" 5:09
3. "Matte Kudasai" (待ってください, Please Wait) 3:47
4. "Indiscipline" 4:33
Side B
5. "Thela Hun Ginjeet" 6:26
6. "The Sheltering Sky" (Instrumental) 8:22
7. "Discipline" (instrumental) 5:13








live:  






No comments:

Post a Comment