Sunday, September 11, 2011

"love and theft"









Bob Dylan cemented his comeback with the laid-back charm of this instant classic. After the critical and commercial success of 'Time Out Of Mind', Dylan produced this follow-up himself under the pseudonym Jack Frost with his touring band, which included Charlie Sexton, Augie Meyers, and Larry Campbell. He took the title from Eric Lott's book 'Love & Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and the American Working Class' and dips his toe in various styles of American music from delta blues to country swing to sweet balladry. His new-found bluesy rasp is as assured as his razor-sharp wit; and his characters are vivid and colorful. '"Love and Theft"' hit the top five of the album charts in Australia, the UK, and the US.

















'Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum' likens a political race to a drunken Mardi Gras parade competition.

"Well a childish dream is a deathless need
And a noble truth is a sacred dream
My pretty baby, she’s lookin’ around
She’s wearin’ a multi-thousand dollar gown"



Bob Dylan in concert - Tweedle Dee and Tweedle... by kulp11--



'Mississippi' tells the story of a man who risks his safety for love.

"My clothes are wet, tight on my skin
Not as tight as the corner that I painted myself in
I know that fortune is waitin’ to be kind
So give me your hand and say you’ll be mine"





The barn-burning swing blues of 'Summer Days' will get you off your feet.

"Where do you come from? Where do you go?
Sorry that’s nothin’ you would need to know
Well, my back has been to the wall for so long, it seems like it’s stuck
Why don’t you break my heart one more time just for good luck"








'High Water (for Charley Patton)' is an apocalyptic tribute to the king of the delta blues.

"High water risin’, six inches ’bove my head
Coffins droppin’ in the street
Like balloons made out of lead
Water pourin’ into Vicksburg, don’t know what I’m goin' to do
“Don’t reach out for me,” she said
“Can’t you see I’m drownin’ too?”
It’s rough out there
High water everywhere"








'"Love and Theft"' 
full album:

Time Out of Mind/Love and Theft from Bob Dylan on Myspace.



All tracks written by Bob Dylan.

1. "Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum" 4:46
2. "Mississippi" 5:21
3. "Summer Days" 4:52
4. "Bye and Bye" 3:16
5. "Lonesome Day Blues" 6:05
6. "Floater (Too Much to Ask)" 4:59
7. "High Water (For Charley Patton)" 4:04
8. "Moonlight" 3:23
9. "Honest with Me" 5:49
10. "Po' Boy" 3:05
11. "Cry a While" 5:05

12. "Sugar Baby" 6:40


No comments:

Post a Comment