Tuesday, May 5, 2015

the new sound









Les Paul revolutionized the music industry with his studio innovations and the development of the electric guitar.  He had had hits backing Bing Crosby on "It's Been A Long, Long Time" and the Andrews Sisters on "Rumors Are Flying"; but it was with his solo recordings that he was able to innovate.  His album 'The New Sound' features the technique he developed in his garage studio of multi-track recording as well as a change from the clear, clean sound that was standard at the time:   "You should be able to add reverb to it, delay, flanging, fuzz – whatever you wish, whatever you can imaging that you want you should have on that instrument. I was going for the very clean sound too. To this moment I want a very clear sound, and then I want to be able to take that very clear sound and warp it or change it to the different sounds of the other player...Yeah, it was an exciting time. It happened in Chicago where my mother came down to visit. She said, I heard you on the radio last night. I said, I wasn't playing on the radio, I was here playing with The Andrews Sisters. She says, well you should do something about it, because they're sounding just like you!   So I got thinking about it, gave my notice and went to my garage and said, I'm not coming out of that garage until I have a sound that's different from anybody else! It took a couple of years of working on ideas; new sounds, a new way of recording and it turned out to be great. I didn't know it was going to change the world, but I knew it was going to make some noise."








http://www.lespaulfoundation.org/






"Nola" went to number nine in the US.




"Lover"



"Brazil"




"What Is This Thing Called Love?"

Les Paul - What Is This Thing Called Love? (1948) by theUnforgettablesTv






'The New Sound'
full album:


1 Brazil    (Ary Barroso / Bob Russell)  2:36
2 Hip-Billy Boogie  (Les Paul)   2:32
3 Swiss Woodpecker  (Traditional)   2:20
4 Caravan   (Duke Ellington / Irving Mills / Juan Tizol)   3:00
5 Sleep  (Earl Lebieg)  2:03
6 Lady of Spain  (Stanley Damerell / Tolchard Evans / Robert Hargreaves / Henry Tilsley)   1:52 7 Lover  (Lorenz Hart / Richard Rodgers)  2:48
8 The Man on the Flying Trapeze    (George Leybourne)   2:45
9 By the Light of the Silvery Moon   (Gus Edwards / Edward Madden)  3:06
10 What Is This Thing Called Love?   (Cole Porter)  2:40
11 Nola   (Felix Arndt)  2:37
12 South   (Dick Charles / Thamon Hayes / Bennie Moten)  2:01




No comments:

Post a Comment