Friday, August 5, 2011

revolver










 

The Fab Four became a studio band, diversified their sound, ushered in the age of psychedelia, and changed the face of popular music with this groundbreaking tour de force. The band made the decision to give up touring after their narrow escape from the Philippines, and they spent three months apart before going into the studio for an unheard of three hundred hours to record 'Revolver'. Each member brought new interests to the mix. George Harrison delivered three songs, John Lennon brought five, and Paul McCartney contributed six. The result was a mature and introspective mix of electric guitar rock, Indian raga, politics, philosophy, drug culture, and classical music that was influenced by the avante-garde and characterized by revolutionary studio experiments. Even the cover was a departure, designed by Klaus Voormann, their friend from Hamburg, Germany. The album went to the top of the album charts in the US and the UK and is considered one of the greatest albums of the rock era.






http://www.thebeatles.com/

http://www.thebeatles.com/album/revolver

http://thebeatles.tidal.com/




Live At Circus Krone 1966








'Taxman' starts the album off with a swipe at the progressive British supertax. George says he wrote it "when I first realised that even though we had started earning money, we were actually giving most of it away in taxes. It was and still is typical." The song also makes reference to Harold Wilson and Edward Heath, who were the leaders of the Labour Party and the Conservative Party at the time.

"Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me"





All of the Beatles contributed lyrics for 'Eleanor Rigby'; but it was mainly Paul's show. The band did not play any instruments on the song, though John and George sang backup. George Martin did the arrangement for the stringed double-quartet according to his instructions. It was released as a double a side single with 'Yellow Submarine'.

"All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?"







"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazzy
Running everywhere at such a speed
'Til they find there's no need (There's no need)"




The playful sea shanty 'Yellow Submarine' was Ringo's vocal contribution, written primarily by Paul with help from John and Donovan. The single went to the top of the charts in the UK.

"As we live a life of ease (life of ease)
Every one of us(every one of us) has all we need, (has all we need)
Sky of blue, (sky of blue) and sea green, (sea of green)
In our yellow (In our yellow) submarine. (submarine) ( Haha! )"






John has explained that 'She Said She Said' was inspired by a conversation he had with actor Peter Fonda, who had had a near death experience. To add to the trippy effect, he changed the gender.

"She said I know what it's like to be dead
I know what it is to be sad
And she's making me feel like I've never been born"






Paul says the optimistic 'Good Day Sunshine' was influenced by The Lovin' Spoonful.

"I need to laugh and when the sun is out
I've got something I can laugh about
I feel good in a special way
I'm in love and it's a sunny day "





'And Your Bird Can Sing'




Doctor Robert


THE BEATLES - DR. ROBERT (1966) from MILK & HONEY on Vimeo.



The Motown influenced 'Got To Get You Into My Life' was Paul's "ode to pot". It was released as a single in the US a decade later, peaking at number seven on the pop chart.

"I was alone, I took a ride
I didn't know what I would find there
Another road where maybe i
Could see another kind of mind there"






The transcendent 'Tomorrow Never Knows' was the first song they recorded for the album, using only four tracks; but setting the tone for the rest of the album with its reverse guitar, processed vocals and looped tape effects. Paul says the song uses "electronic effects I worked out myself... with words from the Tibetan Book Of The Dead. We did it because, I for one, am sick of doing sounds that people can claim to have heard before." John adapted the lyrics from The Psychedelic Experience: A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead by Timothy Leary, Richard Alpert, and Ralph Metzner. The title came from Ringo.

"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream,
It is not dying, it is not dying
Lay down al thoughts, surrender to the void,
It is shining, it is shining. "
















'Revolver'
full album:


http://uploadsociety.com/video_v189207



1. Taxman - 0:00
2. Eleanor Rigby - 2:40
3. I'm Only Sleeping - 4:47
4. Love You To - 7:48
5. Here, There, and Everywhere - 10:49
6. Yellow Submarine - 13:16
7. She Said She Said - 15:56
8. Good Day Sunshine - 18:33
9. And Your Bird Can Sing - 20:43
10. For No One - 22:45
11. Doctor Robert - 24:47
12. I Want to Tell You - 26:59
13. Got to Get You into My Life - 29:32
14. Tomorrow Never Knows - 32:03





No comments:

Post a Comment