Thursday, August 25, 2011

boston











These arena rock pioneers took over the charts with this masterpiece recorded in a basement home studio. Tom Scholz built the studio while he was working at Polaroid and got the attention of Epic Records with multitracked demos he made with singer Brad Delp and drummer Jim Masdea. The label insisted on the band re-recording the songs in a professional studio; but producer John Boylan allowed Scholz to use his basement studio for the instrumentals and transfer the twelve track tapes to a twenty four track set up in a remote recording truck outside his apartment. Delp's vocals were recorded in Hollywood at Capitol Studios and Scholz, Boylan and Warren Dewey mixed the album at Westlake Audio in Los Angeles. 'Boston' sold a million copies in the first year, spending one hundred and thirty two weeks on the US album chart, and peaking at number three. It has since been certified seventeen times platinum, making it the second best selling debut album in US history.






http://bandboston.com/






'More Than A Feeling' took five years for Scholz to compose and reached number five on the pop chart. The melody was inspired by The Left Banke's 'Walk Away Renee'.
"When I'm tired and thinking cold
I hide in my music, forget the day
And dream of a girl I used to know
I closed my eyes and she slipped away"




'Peace Of Mind' is a criticism of the materialism they saw around them. The single reached number thirty eight on the Billboard Pop chart.
"Now everybody's got advice they just keep on givin'
Doesn't mean too much to me
Lot's of people out to make-believe they're livin'
Can't decide who they should be."




'Foreplay / Long Time'
Scholz wrote 'Foreplay' while studying for his masters at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; it was the first thing he ever recorded in his basement studio. 'Long Time' was released as the second single and reached number twenty two in the US and eleven in the UK.
"Well I'm takin' my time, I'm just movin' along
You'll forget about me after I've been gone
And I take what I find, I don't want no more
It's just outside of your front door."




'Let Me Take You Home Tonight' was the only song on the album written by Brad Delp. It was recorded in Los Angeles without Scholz, who added his parts in later.
"Now I'm not like this, I'm really kind of shy
But I get this feeling whenever you walk by
I don't wanna down you, I wanna make you high
If you you could see your way to me, come on and let me try."







'Boston' 
full album:



All songs written and composed by Tom Scholz, except where noted.

Side one
1. "More Than a Feeling"   4:46
2. "Peace of Mind"   5:02
3. "Foreplay/Long Time"   7:47
Side two
4. "Rock & Roll Band"   3:00
5. "Smokin'" (Brad Delp, Scholz) 4:22
6. "Hitch a Ride"   4:12
7. "Something About You"   3:48
8. "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" (Brad Delp) 4:44





No comments:

Post a Comment