Saturday, February 5, 2011

tennessee waltz









Patti Page had her biggest success with an orchestrated remake of a country and western hit by Pee Wee King's Golden West Cowboys. It was originally released as the B-side of 'Boogie Woogie Santa Claus'; but that song was later replaced with a new B-side, 'Long Long Ago'.

'Tennessee Waltz' was written by Redd Stewart and Pee Wee King in 1946. On a road trip to the Grand Old Opry, Stewart was inspired by hearing 'the Kentucky Waltz' on the radio. He wrote the lyrics on a matchbox to a tune King had written as the band's intro music. Their rendition made it to number three on the C&W chart two years later.

Page's version spent a total of thirteen weeks at the top of the pop chart (it also hit number two on the country chart) and has sold almost fifteen million copies. It became the fourth official song of the state of Tennessee in 1965.



I was dancin' with my darlin'
To the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend I happened to see
I introduced her to my loved one
And while they were dancin'
My friend stole my sweetheart from me

I remember the night and the Tennessee Waltz
Now I know just how much I have lost
Yes, I lost my little darlin'
The night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz








No comments:

Post a Comment