Tuesday, December 28, 2010

my generation







The Mods had a band who spoke for them with maximum R&B when the Who released their debut album.
The sneering title track provided a template for punk attitude while the pure power pop of 'The Kids Are Alright' showed their sweeter side.

It was the only Who album produced by Shel Talmy, who subsequently won a breach-of-contract suit (after being "fired" by one of their managers) and held up a re-release for decades. He remixed the compact disk version that was finally released in 2002 with another disk of bonus tracks.







http://www.thewho.com/










The ferocious classic 'My Generation' went to number two on the British charts. The tongue-tied tumult spoke to the rebellious youth and was the first rock song to feature a bass solo. This performance on the Smothers Brothers show ends with a bang. Pete has since blamed his hearing loss on "an exploding drum prank."

"I hope I die before I get old!"






The soaring harmonies and chiming guitar make 'The Kids Are Alright' a shimmering pop classic that describes the Mod scene and provides a counterpoint to the title track that is just as culturally significant.

"Sometimes
I feel I've got to get away
Bells chime
I know I've got to get away
And I know if I don't I'll go out of my mind


Better leave her behind with the kids are alright."




The rock and roll fun of 'The Good's Gone' makes it a forgotten Who classic. The photograph is the cover of the British version of the album.




Perhaps the fact that Pete sings lead vocals on this one is...ahem...'A Legal Matter'.




The instrumental musical mayhem of 'The Ox' was improvised by Townshend, Entwistle, Moon, and keyboardist Nicky Hopkins. It was the last track on the British version of the album.




The psychedelic raver 'Instant Party (Circles)' was the last song on the American version 'The Who Sings My Generation' and featured Entwistle on french horn.







'My Generation'
full album:



All songs written by Pete Townshend, except where noted.

Side one
1. "Out in the Street"   2:31
2. "I Don't Mind" (James Brown) 2:36
3. "The Good's Gone"   4:02
4. "La-La-La-Lies"   2:17
5. "Much Too Much"   2:47
6. "My Generation"   3:18
Side two
7. "The Kids Are Alright"   3:04
8. "Please, Please, Please" (Brown, Johnny Terry) 2:45
9. "It's Not True"   2:31
10. "I'm a Man" (Bo Diddley) 3:21
11. "A Legal Matter"   2:48
12. "The Ox" (Townshend, John Entwistle, Keith Moon, Nicky Hopkins) 3:50





No comments:

Post a Comment