Wednesday, July 16, 2014

diamond life








Sade became an international sensation with the sophisticated jazz grooves of this shimmering pop debut.  The group began in London when Helen Folasade 'Sade' Adu, Stuart Matthewman, and Paul Spencer Denman left their band Pride to join Paul Anthony Cook in a new musical venture that they named after their lead singer.  They performed around London and even made it to New York, receiving more attention than Pride had, and signing with Epic subsidiary Portrait Records.  By this point, Andrew Hale had joined the group and Cook was on his way out.  

Their debut album 'Diamond Life' was recorded at The Power Plant in London with producer Robin Millar and featured Sade Adu on vocals;   Andrew Hale on keyboards;   Stuart Matthewman on guitar and saxophone;  and Paul S. Denman on bass;    with Terry Bailey and Gordon Matthewman on trumpet; Paul Cooke on drums;  Martin Ditcham on percussion;   and Dave Early on drums and percussion.   

 'Diamond Life' went to number twenty in Norway; eighteen in Sweden; seven in Canada; six in Australia; five in the US; four in Italy; two in the UK;  and number one in Austria, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and Switzerland.  It also won the Brit Award for Best British Album in 1985.  Sade says:    ''My musical career was an accident.  When I started singing three years ago I was trying to be a menswear designer, and I did a little modeling to support myself. We all came out of the same nightclub scene in London. One day I was asked if I wanted to sing in a group, and I decided to try it. I have no technical training and am completely uneducated in music. In fact, I look at music more as a consumer than as a musician. When I compose, I sing the melodies into a tape recorder or to Stuart, who puts them into shape. Most of my lyrics are little stories about my experiences or those of my friends...All the cliches of glamorous sophistication have little appeal to me.  Do I want to live the British version of 'Dynasty?' No thanks!''






https://www.sade.com/








"Smooth Operator"  


"Smooth Operator"/"Snake Bite"  



"Your Love Is King"  



"Hang On to Your Love"  





"When Am I Going to Make a Living"  



"Cherry Pie"  




"Sally"  





"Why Can't We Live Together"



'Diamond Life' full album:


All song written by Sade Adu and Stuart Matthewman, except where noted.


1. "Smooth Operator" (Sade Adu, Ray St. John) 4:15
2. "Your Love Is King" 3:41
3. "Hang On to Your Love" 5:55
4. "Frankie's First Affair" 4:39
5. "When Am I Going to Make a Living" 3:27
6. "Cherry Pie" (Adu, Matthewman, Andrew Hale, Paul Denman) 6:20
7. "Sally" 5:23
8. "I Will Be Your Friend" 4:45

9. "Why Can't We Live Together" (Timmy Thomas)  5:28

No comments:

Post a Comment