Saturday, May 31, 2014

workbook








Bob Mould broke out on his own and found the deepest light in the acoustic honesty of this cathartic goodbye.  After nine years and six albums, tensions had gotten to be too much between the band members of Hüsker Dü during the production of their final album 'Warehouse: Songs and Stories'.  Mould retreated to a farmhouse in Pine City, Minnesota to clean up and write songs.  He secured a deal with the new Virgin Records America and recorded the new songs with Anton Fier on drums;  Steve Haigler on percussion;  Tony Maimone on bass guitar;  and Jane Scarpantoni on cello.  Mould sang, produced, and played  guitar, mandolin, keyboards, and percussion.  


Mould looks back:   "Coming out of Hüsker with a record like 'Workbook', it really helped me turn the corner I think, and get on my own road...going back to 1987, the last Hüskers record and the slow dissolve of that band. I was getting really disillusioned where everyone was heading; not feeling good about the place I was living in in Minneapolis, so I started looking at getting out of town, and moving up to a farm...My then-partner was a farm kid too, and we got out there in the December of '87 just as Hüskers were unraveling for good...There’s a lot of things on that record which are a reflection of me sitting with my thoughts, coming out of eight years with that band. It’s a very introspective record looking at that wreckage and trying to move forward with my own ideas...In '88, when I was working on 'Workbook', I was in my first long term relationship and that was dissolving in '89. I packed up and moved to New York City and into another relationship. So that when 'Workbook' eventually came out, my career was looking good and my personal life was looking shit."

'Workbook' went to number one hundred and twenty-seven in the US.  








http://bobmould.com/










'See A Little Light'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnNr6lNxvc&feature=kp








 'Workbook'
full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqKmF5mVP4


"Sunspots" - 0:00
"Wishing Well" - 2:05
"Heartbreak a Stranger" - 7:17
"See a Little Light" - 13:10
"Poison Years" - 16:43
"Sinners and Their Repentances" - 22:07
"Brasilia Crossed with Trenton" - 26:13
"Compositions for the Young and Old" - 32:52
"Lonely Afternoon" - 37:32
"Dreaming, I Am" - 42:09
"Whichever Way the Wind Blows" - 46:18



No comments:

Post a Comment