Wednesday, May 28, 2014

private dancer







Tina Turner took on a new direction and became queen on her own terms with the worldly wise resolution and ragged resilience of this slick and soulful comeback.  Even before separating from her husband Ike, Turner had struggled with her solo career.  Out of four solo releases, only 'Acid Queen' (which takes its title from the character and song she performs in the film version of The Who's 'Tommy') charted at all.  With their fortunes dwindling, Ike became increasingly abusive to her, which led to her divorcing him and taking only her name from their marriage.  She continued to perform on her own even after her contract with United Artists/EMI expired.  She was able to secure a singles deal with Capitol Records with the support of her new manager Roger Davies, producer John Carter, and celebrities like Olivia Newton-John, Rod Stewart, Robert Cray, Chuck Berry, and David Bowie.  

The success of her version of Al Green's 'Let's Stay Together' led to an album deal.  'Private Dancer' was recorded over two months in London with eight different producers:   Terry Britten, John Carter, Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, Wilton Felder, Rupert Hine, Joe Sample, Greg Walsh, and Martyn Ware.    The sessions featured Tina Turner on vocals and background vocals;   with Gary Barnacle and Mel Collins on saxophone;   Jeff Beck, Hal Lindes, David T. Walker, and Paul Warren on guitar;  Terry Britten on guitar, vocals, and background vocals;  Graham Broad, Jack Bruno, and Terry Williams on drums;   Alan Clark on percussion and keyboards;   Cy Curnin, Glenn Gregory, and Tessa Niles on vocals and background vocals;   David Ervin on synthesizer;   Wilton Felder on bass and saxophone;   Nick Glennie-Smith, Billy Livsey, and Jimmy Philips on keyboards;   Rupert Hine on bass, percussion, keyboards, vocals, and background vocals;   John Illsley and John Trivers on bass;   Frank Ricotti on percussion;   Joe Sample on synthesizer and piano;   Martyn Ware on synthesizer, vocals, and background vocals;   and Nick Plytas on piano and synthesizer.   



 'Private Dancer'  became an international smash hit, overshadowing her work with Ike and finally making her a star in her own right.  The album charted at number fourteen in France;  seven in Australia and Sweden;  five in Norway;  three in the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the US;  two in Canada, Germany, New Zealand, Spain, and the UK;  and number one in Austria, Finland, and on the US R&B album chart.   The album has been certified multi-platinum in Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US and has sold over eleven million copies worldwide.  'Private Dancer' brought four Grammy Awards as well:  Best Female Rock Vocal Performance for 'Better Be Good to Me'; and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year for 'What's Love Got to Do with It?'.  The story of Tina's life, struggle, and triumph was documented in her autobiography 'I, Tina' (co-written with Kurt Loder).  It was brought to the silver screen as 'What's Love Got To Do With It', which garnished Academy Award nominations for Angela Bassett (who won a Golden Globe for her portrayal of Tina) and Laurence Fishburne.  

Turner would express:  "I'm self-made. I always wanted to make myself a better person, because I was not educated. But that was my dream – to have class. Now it's too late for that. You can't read a book like my autobiography and say, 'She's classy.' You can say, 'She's a respectable woman', but you can't say 'classy'. My role model was always Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Now, you're talking about high stuff, right? [Laughs.] My taste was high. So when it came to role models, I looked at presidents' wives. Of course, you're talking about a farm girl who stood in the fields, dreaming, years ago, wishing she was that kind of person. But if I had been that kind of person, do you think I could sing with the emotions I do? You sing with those emotions because you've had pain in your heart. The bloodline of my family didn't come from that kind of royalty. Why I relate to it, I don't know. That's the class I wanted to be. But I wasn't, so I dealt with the class I was in. I have never disrespected myself, and I'm still very proud of myself. But society doesn't look at that as class, that type of woman. Society respects me, I think, because I'm self-made and I climbed to the top. But it was the high-class black people I wanted respect from. So I never let go of that dream."



http://www.tinaturnerofficial.com/










live full concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwpxQaK-uYI



Show Some Respect
I Might've Been a Queen
What's Love Got To Do With It
I Can't Stand The Rain
Better Be Good To Me
Private Dancer
Let's Stay Together
Help
It's Only Love
Tonight
Let's Dance




"What's Love Got to Do with It"  
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1o87v_tina-turner-what-s-love-got-to-do-w_music

Tina Turner:  What's Love Got To Do With by la_shivi





"Better Be Good to Me"




"Let's Stay Together" 



"Private Dancer"  









bonus tracks:  

"Help!"   John Lennon, Paul McCartney 4:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05rCvQXvYmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fn3YH8-s4c



"I Wrote a Letter" 
("Let's Stay Together" b-side) Inga Rumpf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do2_fzX6B8E



"Rock 'n Roll Widow" 
("Help" b-side) Tom Snow 4:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQmYLJkAymE




"Don't Rush the Good Things" 
("What's Love Got To Do With It" b-side) Neil Gammack 3:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-IJK43zJ-k




"When I Was Young"
("Better Be Good To Me" b-side) Eric Burdon, Victor Briggs, John Weider, Danny McCulloch 3:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvpXVG3geKw









'Private Dancer'
full album:




Side one
"I Might Have Been Queen" (Hine, Obstoj) – 4:10
"What's Love Got to Do with It" (Britten, Lyle) – 3:49
"Show Some Respect" (Britten, Shifrin) – 3:18
"I Can't Stand the Rain" (Bryant, Miller, Peebles) – 3:41
"Better Be Good to Me" (Chapman, Chinn, Knight) – 5:10
Side two
"Let's Stay Together" (Green, Jackson, Mitchell) – 5:16
"1984" (Bowie) – 3:09
"Steel Claw" (Brady) – 3:48
"Private Dancer" (Knopfler) – 7:11




No comments:

Post a Comment