Wednesday, December 14, 2011

wilder




The Teardrop Explodes recorded the arty post punk psychedelia of their second and final album in the wake of turbulent lineup changes. Guitarist Alan Gill left the band and was replaced by Troy Tate, while tensions between keyboardist David Balfe and lead singer Julian Cope caused Balfe to leave as well. This was at a time when the band was at the height of its popularity; so the band hired Jeff Hammer and Alfie Agius for their first American tour, which was fraught with more infighting and ended early. When the band returned to London they recorded 'Passionate Friend'. It was the only song that included Hammer and Agius; they were fired soon after. David Balfe returned to the fold for the rest of the sessions. This darker successor to 'Kilimanjaro' saw Cope taking over control of the songwriting, drawing his cryptic visions from his recent divorce and the fighting within the band. The artful, expansive sound moves away from the raw punk of their debut. 'Wilder' went to number twenty-nine in the UK and number nineteen in New Zealand.



'Colours Fly Away' went to number fifty four in the UK.

"More by luck than judgment here am I
Smiling at the fighting once again
Frightened of my hands
Frightened of my friends
Haunted by a very different name"




'Seven Views of Jerusalem'

"I wish my father was here
People are stumbling and blind
I can climb mountains to fall down again
I can fork any rivers without feeling pain
I cut off my nose to spite my face
Look at all pests around the place
Everyone's laughing they think it's disguise
But haven't you seen all the lines round my eyes"




'The Culture Bunker'

"I stormed out of the culture bunker,
Finger on the pin do you like my grin, hu-uh?
Black underneath with a burning seat for you,
I feel cold when it turns to gold for you."




'Passionate Friend' reached number forty eight in New Zealand and number twenty five in the UK. It was written about Julie McCulloch, sister of Cope's former bandmate Ian.

"The friend I have is a passionate friend
But I can't see you buying
Love a dream of a love affair
That's over, past, and dying
Celebrate the great escape
Carry my soul away
From sufferance intolerance
Leaving you today"




'Tiny Children' hit number forty four in the UK.

"The car arrives
And takes me back again
Drifting through imaginary blaze
And fighting men, a border raft
A sailing ship has run aground
And confidence is valued in these days
But each character
Is plundering my home
And taking everything that is my own
Oh no, I'm not sure about
Those things that I cared about
Oh no, I'm not sure
Not anymore"




'Like Leila Khaled Said' is a love letter to a famous female hijacker.

"You can smother me with kisses
You can smother me with dreams
You can always be the mistress of my schemes"




'The Great Dominions'

"Mommy, I've been fighting again"

No comments:

Post a Comment