Friday, December 30, 2011

i'm a believer












The Monkees' second single became their second chart-topper, although none of them actually played any instruments on the song. 'I'm a Believer' was written by Neil Diamond: "I was thrilled, because at heart I was still a songwriter and I wanted my songs on the charts. It was one of the songs that was going to be on my first album, but Donny Kirshner, who was their music maven, hears 'Cherry, Cherry' on the radio and said, 'Wow, I want one like that for The Monkees!' He called my producers, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich - 'Hey, does this kid have any more?' And they played him the things I had cut for the next album and he picked 'I'm A Believer,' 'A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You' and 'Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow),' and they had some huge hits. But the head of my record company freaked. He went through the roof because he felt that I had given #1 records away to another group. I couldn't have cared less because I had to pay the rent and The Monkees were selling records and I wasn't being paid for my records."

Diamond actually played guitar on the Monkees version; but none of the Monkees were allowed to do so, since their producers didn't think they could play together. Micky Dolenz did the lead vocal while Davy Jones and Peter Tork helped with backup. Michael Nesmith insisted the song would not be a hit and was banned from the studio during the sessions. The song hit number one the last week of 1966 and stayed there for seven weeks, becoming the best selling record of 1967. It has sold more than ten million copies worldwide.

















Diamond made a deal where he could record his own version.




Robert Wyatt had a hit in the UK with Fred Frith on violin, Andy Summers on guitar, and Nick Mason on drums.







I thought love was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me.
Love was out to get me
That's the way it seemed.
Disappointment haunted all my dreams.
Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love, I'm a believer!
I couldn't leave her if I tried.

I thought love was more or less a given thing,
Seems the more I gave the less I got.
What's the use in tryin'?
All you get is pain.
When I needed sunshine I got rain.
Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love, I'm a believer!
I couldn't leave her if I tried.




'Steppin' Stone' was the B-side of the Monkees' hit version.







No comments:

Post a Comment