Thursday, December 22, 2011

the real ramona














The Throwing Muses provided a sharp and seductive snapshot of a band in transition with this danceably demented alternative rock. Bassist Leslie Langston left the band to live with her fiance in California and was replaced by Fred Abong, who only appeared on this album before leaving with Tanya Donelly to form Belly. Donelly had come to the sessions with seven songs, compared to the usual one or two on previous albums; which increased the tensions in the studio. Recorded at Eldorado Studios and Dust Bowl Studio in Los Angeles, 'The Real Ramona' was produced by Dennis Herring and engineered by John Beverly Jones, and the result is a cleaner, more commercial sound.

Drummer David Narcizo remembers the sessions: “When it was happening it was emotionally raw; but, there was closure before we even finished the record and everyone seemed in a good place. There were parts of the recording that brought their own tension and that’s what I remember. There was abrasiveness with the producer. Kristin may not agree with me, but I think he did a really great job and worked really hard. But, of all our records it had the most treated sound, which – as she has demonstrated over the years – Kristin has never been a fan of. She felt she lost control of the reins on that record.”


Kristin Hersh it was a time of turmoil: “I was busy with a child custody battle I was going through, I was halfway through a root canal that I couldn’t afford to finish and I was in unbearable skull pain. We were living in this horrible apartment block with the worst of Hollywood around us and it was so hard seeing beauty being made ugly that way. It was definitely not what it was supposed to be like. When the band broke up, it was because my sister T wanted to be more involved with the industry and I wanted nothing to do with it. We all loved each other, but Warner Brothers took away my faith in music.”


Donnelly says, "I was pretty confused. I didn't know which end was up; I was in total limbo." After touring with the Pixies on the 'House Tornado' tour, she bonded with Kim Deal and formed the Breeders; however, Sire Records would not let Donnelly be a full-time member in two bands, and so most of the songs on their first album 'Pod' were written by Deal. Feeling overshadowed in both bands, she left to form her own. She told the rest of the Muses she was leaving when recording for 'The Real Ramona' was complete; staying for another year of touring. The album peaked at number twenty-six in the UK.






http://4ad.com/artists/throwingmuses

http://www.kristinhersh.com/

https://tanyadonelly.bandcamp.com/







The explosive rhythms of 'Counting Backwards' start the album. It was the first single, reaching number eleven on the US Modern Rock chart.

"Counting backwards I count you in
I don't remember him
I don't remember
In time I rope you in again
I try and turn you back through him
I built a tower in my bones
I spill the mortar through my home
Don't let your heartbeat beat keep you safe
No telling what keeps me awake
One hundred fingerprints I hear
A hundred linger in my ear
Measure fortune killing time"






'Red Shoes'

"This dance
This war criminal is
This dance is brutal, it
It wants red
So I got red shoes
'Cause red becomes you
I become you"





'Golden Thing' soars.

"Well, you gotta see this
Golden thing
You golden thing
And when you get there better kiss me"





'Ellen West' is about a famous anorexic.

"That last one messed me up
Things look bad
Things look tragic
I keep looking in the mirror
Afraid that I won't be there
Courting Ellen West, dancing on her grave
Saving Ellen West
My house is full of demons
I swear to God
I need to go to bed
I need to go to sleep
I'm awake with a vengeance
Saving Ellen West 'cause she wanted it
This way
My mouth is full of demos
I swear to God I need to go to bed
I need to go to sleep
I need that hope chest
I need to breathe
I need you here
I need to disappear"




Donelly's driving 'Not Too Soon' was the second single. Her voicebox distortion blends with the guitar licks and the drum kicks echo the girl groups of the 50's.

"She colourblind tired eyes
Her hallway aching
She'll never move him - likes it that way
He's just a walker and he'll never stop walking away
It's not too soon he said, It's not too soon at all
You might as well be dead he said
If you're afraid to fall, I said -, I know her
She said - Why do you stare so hard
Wrapped up like a doll in bad dreams and broken arms
Make these old bones shiver
It's not too soon he said, It's not too soon at all
You might as well be dead he said
If you're afraid to fall, I said - I know her
The last time I saw you, You were standing in the dark
And with a freezing face, I watched you fall apart
It's not too soon he said, It's not too soon at all
You might as well be dead he said
If you're afraid to fall, I said,
done your time, been in your place
I couldn't look you in the face
and tell you that it turns me on
it makes my stomach turn
I know her"




'Honeychain' was the second Donelly number that made the final cut.

"My best friend knows this old guy who
Who keeps a picture in his shoe
He takes it out after a spell
Says, see

Shouldn't stare that way so long baby
Stare holes into the walls
My dress hangs here for you to wear out
I walked in beauty too, till I met you

Here hangs this chain
This thing this old girl keeps
We got it easy
So why do you stare that way so long

Stare holes into the walls
We're all honey
Dripping through the honey chain
And lay our lives down

Down and pretty
In the honey chain
Please don't stare that way so hard baby
Stare holes"




'Say Goodbye' started out as an acoutic fragment on their previous album, 'Hunkpapa'

"I brought this bottle here for you,
Can't you drink it?
I brought this body here for you,
Don't you want it?
Say goodbye,
Kick her legs, kick her down
I bought this pocketknife for you,
Don't you use it?
I bought this ball and chain for you,
Don't you wear it? "




'Two Step' was composed by the entire band.

"Two step
Behind the rest
One fingertip too long
A hole
A hole in the box they carry
Pours sugar in the road
Pours dimes in diamond jim
Two months to fill him in
A hole..."






full album:





No comments:

Post a Comment