Saturday, June 11, 2011

dirty water








The 'Godfathers of Punk Rock' had their biggest success with a big fat story about a city they'd never seen. The band was from Los Angeles. Their producer Ed Cobb wrote the song after visiting Boston and being mugged on a Massachusetts Avenue bridge over the Charles River. 'Dirty Water' helped the Standells make the move from their surf rock sound to a more edgy garage rock and made sarcastic mention of Boston University's early curfew, the Strangler, and the lovers, muggers, and thieves down by the polluted Charles River (but they're cool people).

Singer Dick Dodd was the original drummer for The Bel-Airs and a former Mouseketeer. Larry Tamblyn is the brother of actor Russ Tamblyn and uncle of Amber Tamblyn, star of 'Joan of Arcadia'. Tony Valentino played guitar and Gary Lane was on bass. The band also had appearances in several low budget films like 'Get Yourself a College Girl' and 'Riot on Sunset Strip', as well as 'The Munsters' television sitcom.

'Dirty Water' peaked at number eleven on the Billboard charts on June 11, 1966, number eight on the Cashbox charts on July 9, 1966 and number one on the Record World charts. It is still played at sporting events throughout Boston. The Standells have even performed the song live at Fenway Park from atop the Green Monster.






http://www.classicbands.com/standells.html










I'm gonna tell you a story
I'm gonna tell you about my town
I'm gonna tell you a big fat story, baby
Aww, it's all about my town

Yeah, down by the river
Down by the banks of the river Charles (aw, that's what's happenin' baby)
That's where you'll find me
Along with lovers, muggers, and thieves (aw, but they're cool people)
Well I love that dirty water
Oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, you're the Number One place)
Frustrated women (I mean they're frustrated)
Have to be in by twelve o'clock (oh, that's a shame)
But I'm wishin' and a-hopin, oh
That just once those doors weren't locked (I like to save time for
my baby to walk around)
Well I love that dirty water
Oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)

Because I love that dirty water
Oh, oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)

Well, I love that dirty water (I love it, baby)
I love that dirty water (I love Baw-stun)
I love that dirty water (Have you heard about the Strangler?)
I love that dirty water (I'm the man, I'm the man)
I love that dirty water (Owww!)
I love that dirty water (Come on, come on)











Side one

1.  "Medication" (Minette Alton, Ben DiTosti) – 2:27
2.  "Little Sally Tease" (Jim Valley) – 2:35
3.  "There's a Storm Coming" (Ed Cobb) – 2:43
4.  "19th Nervous Breakdown" (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards) – 3:55
5.  "Dirty Water" (Ed Cobb) – 2:48

Side two

6.  "Pride and Devotion" (Larry Tamblyn) – 2:15
7.  "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White" (Ed Cobb) – 2:37
8.  "Hey Joe, Where You Gonna Go?" (Chester Powers)* – 2:10
9.  "Why Did You Hurt Me?" (Dick Dodd, Tony Valentino) – 2:30
10. "Rari" (Ed Cobb) – 3:18

bonus 

10. "Batman" (Neil Hefti) – 3:04
11. "It's All in Your Mind" (Ed Cobb) – 2:38
12. "Love Me" (Dick Dodd, Tony Valentino) – 2:45
13. "Medication" [Instrumental] (Minette Alton, Ben DiTosti) – 2:43
14. "Poor Man's Prison" (Keith Colley, Knox Henderson) – 2:23
15. "Take a Ride" – 2:08


No comments:

Post a Comment