Friday, June 10, 2011

blue











Joni Mitchell released the quintessential breakup album with this stark and sublime confessional magnum opus. She composed most of the songs for 'Blue' during a vacation in Europe after her breakup with Graham Nash. The jazzy alternative tunings and augmented chords are deceptively complex and accentuate the poetry of her achingly beautiful and deeply moving tales of love and loss and wanderlust and homesickness.

"The 'Blue' album, there's hardly a dishonest note in the vocals. At that period of my life, I had no personal defenses. I felt like a cellophane wrapper on a pack of cigarettes. I felt like I had absolutely no secrets from the world and I couldn't pretend in my life to be strong. Or to be happy. But the advantage of it in the music was that there were no defenses there either."














'All I Want'

"All I really really want our love to do
is to bring out the best in me and in you
I want to talk to you, I want to shampoo you
I want to renew you again and again
Applause, applause -- Life is our cause
When I think of your kisses
my mind see-saws
Do you see -- do you see -- do you see
how you hurt me baby
So I hurt you too
then we both get so blue"





'My Old Man'

"We don't need no piece of paper
From the city hall
Keeping us tied and true, no
My old man, keeping away my blues"


















'Blue'

"Everybody’s saying that hell’s the hippest way to go out
I don’t think so
But I’m gonna take a look around it though
Blue, I love, I love you
I love you"






'California'

"Oh it gets so lonely
When your walking
And the streets are full of strangers
All the news of home you read
Just gives you the blues"






'This Flight Tonight' has Sneaky Pete Kleinow on pedal steel guitar

"Oh starbright, starbright
You've got the lovin' that I like, all right
Turn this crazy bird around
I shouldn't have got on this flight tonight."





'River'

"I'm so hard to handle
I'm selfish and I'm sad
Now I've gone and lost the best baby
That I ever had
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
Oh I wish I had a river
I made my baby say goodbye"






'A Case Of You' 

"I remember that time you told me you said
"Love is touching souls"
Surely you touched mine
'Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time
Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet"









'Blue'
full album:




A1 All I Want ----- ---------------------------0:06
A2 My Old Man -----------------------------3:40
A3 Little Green -----------------------------7:15
A4 Carey ---------------------------------- 10:41
A5 Blue ---------- -------------------------13:46
B1 California ----- ------------------------16:54
B2 This Flight Tonight -------------------20:46 
B3 River ------ ----------------------------- 23:38
B4 A Case Of You ------------------------27:37
B5 The Last Time I Saw Richard ---- 32:07









No comments:

Post a Comment