Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the greatest











Chan Marshall reinvented herself (again) by reconnecting with her Southern roots through a crack team of session veterans. The Memphis Rhythm Band filled out her soulful slowcore sound with Mabon "Teenie" Hodges on guitar, his brother Leroy "Flick" Hodges (sharing bass duties with Dave Smith) and Steve Potts drumming. They channel Al Green and Big Star at legendary Ardent Studios and produce a warm, mellow, laid back, quiet intensity on 'The Greatest'. The result is her most polished, mature, and accessible album. Her angst becomes more subtle with these ironic and thorny torch songs. Within the bleakness, there is hope. "Half of it is innocent, the other half is wise."









http://www.catpowerthegreatest.com/






"Once I wanted to be the greatest
Two fists of solid rock
With brains that could explain
Any feeling"





"You're supposed to have an answer
You're supposed to have living proof
Well do you have your answer
Do you have your answer
Well I am your answer I am living"




"We've lived in bars
And danced on tables
Hotels trains and ships that sail
We swim with sharks
And fly with aeroplanes out of here"




"Could we
Take a walk
Could we
Have a talk alone in the afternoon"




"Where is my love
Horses running free
Carrying you and me"





"Love and communication you were here for me
At this very moment cuz I found you on the phone
You called me
And you were not hunting me"






'The Greatest' full album:



All tracks written by Chan Marshall.

No. Title Length
1. "The Greatest"   3:22
2. "Living Proof"   3:11
3. "Lived in Bars"   3:44
4. "Could We"   2:21
5. "Empty Shell"   3:04
6. "Willie"   5:57
7. "Where Is My Love"   2:53
8. "The Moon"   3:45
9. "Islands"   1:44
10. "After It All"   3:31
11. "Hate"   3:38
12. "Love & Communication"   4:34







No comments:

Post a Comment