Sunday, March 8, 2015

today!








The Beach Boys reached a new level of maturity and depth with the spellbinding studio sophistication of this romantic rock reinvention.  In the months since the release of 'All Summer Long' the band had released their first live album 'Beach Boys Concert' and 'The Beach Boys' Christmas Album' and made an appearance on  'The T.A.M.I. Show'; but there was trouble brewing as the pressure was beginning to take its toll on band leader and producer Brian Wilson:   "I used to be Mr. Everything.  I felt I had no choice. I was run down mentally and emotionally because I was running around, jumping on jets from one city to another on one-night stands, also producing, writing, arranging, singing, planning, teaching—to the point where I had no peace of mind and no chance to actually sit down and think or even rest. I was so mixed up and so overworked...We were on a tour, December 23rd, 1964 (two days before Christmas). We were going to Houston to kick off a two-week tour. I said goodbye to Marilyn. We weren't getting along too good. The plane had been in the air only five minutes when I told Al Jardine I was going to crack up any minute. He told me to cool it. Then I started crying. I put a pillow over my face and began screaming and yelling...Then I started telling people I'm not getting off the plane. I was getting far out, coming undone, having a breakdown, and I just let myself go completely. I dumped myself out of the seat and all over the plane. I let myself go emotionally. They took care of me well. They were as understanding as they could be. They knew what was happening and I was coming apart. The rubber band had stretched as far as it would go...What it amounted to was a guilt feeling. I knew I should have stopped going on tours much earlier to do justice to our recordings and business operations. I was also under pressure from my old man, who figured I'd be a traitor if I didn't travel on one-nighters with the other guys. He always has had a problem of understanding people and their feelings. I had a lot of static from everyone outside the group as well as the members. The only way I could do it was by breaking down as I did...The boys stayed home for a long rest, about two weeks, then, we started recording 'The Beach Boys Today!' album. We were about half way through the album, and one night I told the guys I wasn't going to perform on stage anymore, that I can't travel...I told them I foresee a beautiful future for the Beach Boys group but the only way we could achieve it was if they did their job and I did mine. They would have to get a replacement for me ... I didn't say 'they.' I said 'we' because it isn't they and me, it's 'us.'... Now it was just a matter of time until the guys adjusted to the new scene. The first replacement we had was Glenn Campbell. He was adequate, but he wasn't really a Beach Boy. He didn't look or act like one. That must have gone on for three or four months. Then Glenn got sick and couldn't tour. The Beach Boys were really in trouble now because they couldn't cancel out the tour...So Mike in the last minute called up Bruce Johnston and found he was free. Bruce and Carl got together. Carl taught Bruce all the songs we were doing on the stage. Bruce learned enough songs in one day to perform with the Beach Boys the next night. In one day's practice, he got in the group...The logical thing to do from then on was to expand in our publicity, photographically, and to make a much more planned production in records. I always knew what I was doing but I had a rough time communicating with people for a while...The fellows are just growing up and adjusting to the position in life which we are in. I think that being actually originally a teenage group that made that much money and success in such a short time, was a little bit hard to handle for obvious reasons. It's been almost five years since we started, and it's taken just about that long to adjust and reach present maturity...You learn so much about people's motives, especially when you're in a position to bring out greed and such in people. But understanding the weaknesses of other people helps you to see your own weaknesses as well as strength, and so it's been helpful to us all...I don't think there'll ever be a dull moment in my career as I'm too dedicated to some kind of a sceance. I don't want to be static, I must keep functioning ... No, I'm not a genius, I'm just a hardworking guy."



The sessions for 'Today!' took place in Hollywood at United Western Recorders, Gold Star Studios, and RCA Victor Studios and featured The Beach Boys:  Al Jardine on lead, harmony and backing vocals; electric rhythm guitar; bass guitar; and handclaps;  Mike Love on lead, harmony and backing vocals; and handclaps;  Brian Wilson on lead, harmony and backing vocals; four and six-string bass guitar; grand, upright and tack piano; baldwin harpsichord; hammond organ; and handclaps;  Carl Wilson on harmony and backing vocals; lead, rhythm and twelve-string guitar; six-string bass guitar; and handclaps;  Dennis Wilson on lead, harmony and backing vocals; drums, tambourine, and handclaps;    with an increasing circle of studio musicians that included:   Hal Blaine on drums, woodblocks, sleigh bells, triangle, tambourine, castanets, and temple block; Glen Campbell on guitar;   Peter Christ on English horn;  Steve Douglas and Plas Johnson on tenor saxophone; David Duke on French horn; John Gray on grand piano;  Carl Fortina on accordion;  Carol Kaye and Ray Pohlman  on bass guitar;  Barney Kessel on classical nylon rhythm guitar and twelve-string guitar;  Larry Knechtel on bass;  Carrol Lewis on double-reed harmonica;  "Louie" on castanets;  Jack Nimitz on saxophone;   Jay Migliori on baritone saxophone; Earl Palmer on drums and timbales;  Don Randi on tack upright piano and organ;  Bill Pitman on electric guitar and acoustic guitar;  Billy Lee Riley on harmonica;  Leon Russell on piano and organ;  Billy Strange on electric guitar and electric mandolin;  Ron Swallow on tambourine;  Tommy Tedesco on autoharp, electric guitar, and mandolin;  Russ Titelman on percussion (microphone boom hit with screwdriver);  Julius Wechter on vibraphone, bell-tree, timpani, tambourine, and congas;  Jerry Williams on vibraphone and timpani;  Marilyn Wilson on backing vocals;  and unknown contributions on oboe, cellos, violins, violas, and English horn.  Chuck Britz and Larry Levine engineered the proceedings.  



 'Today!' went to number six in the UK and number four in the US.  The first side stuck to the uptempo rock and roll formula that had made them superstars while the second consisted of lush ballads would characterize their later work.  








http://www.thebeachboys.com/








"Please Let Me Wonder" charted at number fifty-two in the US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjB9u85WSmo





"When I Grow Up To Be A Man" hit thirty-nine in Australia, twenty-seven in the UK, nine in the US, and number one in Canada.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EzEhW1VO9M






"The Little Girl I Once Knew"  reached twenty in the US and seven in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64N5OCo0zxQ





"Help Me, Rhonda" was released as a single with a different take and a different spelling.  The single became went to the top of the charts in Canada and the US.   





"Do You Wanna Dance?" made it to number seventeen in Canada, twelve in the US, and nine in Sweden.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nztxd92hl0g





"Dance, Dance, Dance" grooved on up to number fifty-two in Australia, twenty-four in the UK, eight in the US, seven in Canada, and six in Sweden.  
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu6v90_beach-boys-dance-dance-dance-ii-hd-video-excellent-picture-quality-live-1964_music

Beach Boys - Dance, Dance, Dance [II] [HD video... by ladcrp








 'Today!'
full album:





All songs written and composed by Brian Wilson and Mike Love, except where noted.  Lead vocalist listed.

Side one
1. "Do You Wanna Dance?" (Bobby Freeman) Dennis Wilson 2:19
2. "Good to My Baby"   B. Wilson with Love 2:16
3. "Don't Hurt My Little Sister"   Love with B. Wilson 2:07
4. "When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)"   Love with B. Wilson 2:01
5. "Help Me, Ronda"   Al Jardine 3:08
6. "Dance, Dance, Dance" (B. Wilson/Carl Wilson/Love) Love with B. Wilson 1:59
Side two
1. "Please Let Me Wonder"   B. Wilson with Love 2:45
2. "I'm So Young" (William H. "Prez" Tyus, Jr.) B. Wilson 2:30
3. "Kiss Me, Baby"   B. Wilson with Love 2:35
4. "She Knows Me Too Well"   B. Wilson 2:27
5. "In the Back of My Mind"   D. Wilson 2:07
6. "Bull Session with the 'Big Daddy'" (The Beach Boys) none (spoken word) 2:10

bonus tracks
"The Little Girl I Once Knew"   B. Wilson, Jardine with C. Wilson 2:40
"Let Him Run Wild"   B. Wilson 2:18
"Graduation Day" (J. Sherman/N. Sherman) Love with B. Wilson 2:18





 'The T.A.M.I. Show'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTj83LBHtlQ








No comments:

Post a Comment