Sunday, September 22, 2013

love bites








The Buzzcocks caused a commotion with the natural emotion and new wave angst of this powerpop punk propagation. 'Love Bites' was recorded at Olympic Studios in Barnes, London with Pete Shelley on guitar and vocals; Steve Diggle on guitar; Steve Garvey on bass guitar; and John Maher on drums.  The sessions were produced by Martin Rushent, who had produced their debut album 'Another Music in a Different Kitchen' earlier that same year.  Rushent recalled:    "Back at the time when Buzzcocks were first beginning, there weren’t any producers who would touch 'New Wave' – or whatever you’d like to label it – music. After hearing some of the band’s music, I realized that I didn’t want to refine their sound; I wanted to capture the real excitement of it. Unfortunately, many of the big name producers who cashed in on it all later, made the sound too slick. I guess I started producing it to defend it from being done by the wrong person. After I had done a few and people seemed to enjoy it, the band included, they’d ask, and I’d do the work."

Diggle says:  "It was all meant to be immediate, direct, and for the moment. You didn't know what was going to happen. There was no time to wonder whether it was some kind of career or if it was going to last forever, or what it would mean in 10 years. It was just like 'We've got to make this point and make it now.' You can't calculate or pontificate over art-- it has to be done instantly and spontaneously."




Shelly considers:   "The songs, a lot of them, I wrote as circumstances demanded. They're putting forward a point of view that I don't necessarily believe in. It's almost like the history of philosophy, where you study ideas which are not necessarily right, but by finding out why they're not right, you can go on to find out new ideas... They're like states of mind, really. It's really about how the realization that the relationship is over with changes from it's as bad as it can be to it's the other person's fault and I'm better off without them. I'm not in a constant state of thinking like that. But it helps to have been in that situation and you can see the parallels in the lyrics. I was thinking this morning about 'Ever Fallen in Love'. Most people think it's about falling in love with someone you shouldn't have. But it's about the way in which you deal with that realization and how you try and find some way to change the other person, which is usually a bit doomed anyway. I mean, it's not one interpretation fits all. People put themselves into the work. I just get the ball rolling and get things going. The rest is added by the listeners."

'Love Bites' became the band's highest charting album, going to number thirteen in the UK.  





http://www.buzzcocks.com/











"Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)" became the band's biggest and best known song, peaking at number twelve in the UK.  



You spurn my natural emotions

You make me feel like dirt and I'm hurt
And if I start a commotion
I run the risk of losing you and that's worse
Ever fallen in love with someone
Ever fallen in love, in love with someone
Ever fallen in love, in love with someone
You shouldn't have fallen in love with
I can't see much of a future
Unless we find out what's to blame, what a shame
And we won't be together much longer
Unless we realize that we are the same
Ever fallen in love with someone
Ever fallen in love, in love with someone
Ever fallen in love, in love with someone
You shouldn't have fallen in love with
You disturb my natural emotions
You make me feel like dirt and I'm hurt
And if I start a commotion
I'll only end up losing you and that's worse
Ever fallen in love with someone
Ever fallen in love, in love with someone
Ever fallen in love, in love with someone
You shouldn't have fallen in love with









"Operator's Manual"  





"Nostalgia" 






"Sixteen Again"  




"Walking Distance"  






"Love Is Lies"  







"Nothing Left"  






"E. S. P."








'Love Bites' 
full album:


All songs written by Pete Shelley unless noted.  

1. "Real World"   3:29
2. "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)"   2:40
3. "Operator's Manual"   3:30
4. "Nostalgia"   2:51
5. "Just Lust"   Pete Shelley, Alan Dial 2:57
6. "Sixteen Again"   3:14
7. "Walking Distance"   Steve Garvey   1:58
8. "Love Is Lies"   Steve Diggle 3:10
9. "Nothing Left"   4:23
10. "E. S. P."   4:39
11. "Late for the Train"   Pete Shelley, Steve Diggle, John Maher, Steve Garvey 5:51



No comments:

Post a Comment