Thursday, May 23, 2013

live at the apollo






'Mr. Dynamite' defied convention and produced this powerful live statement on his own for the biggest success of his career.  James Brown had broken into the pop top forty earlier that year with his rendition of 'Night Train' and thought that a live album would be the perfect vehicle with which to capitalize on it.  King Records executive Syd Nathan balked at the idea and Brown decided to pay for the recording on his own dime.  

The show was recorded at New York's legendary Apollo Theater on October 24, 1962 with James Brown on lead vocals; Bobby Byrd on baritone/bass vocals and keyboards; Bobby Bennett on first tenor vocals; and Lloyd Stallworth on second tenor vocals; with introduction by Fats Gonder.  He fought to get the album released and was vindicated when the demand was so huge record stores had to order it by the case to meet the demand.  'Live at the Apollo' went to number two on the US album chart.  







http://www.jamesbrown.com/









'Live at the Apollo' 

full album:




1. "Introduction to James Brown and The Famous Flames" (by Fats Gonder) 1:49
2. "I'll Go Crazy" 2:05
3. "Try Me" 2:27
4. "Think" 1:58
5. "I Don’t Mind" 2:28
6. "Lost Someone" 10:43
7. "Medley: Please, Please, Please/You've Got the Power/I Found Someone/Why Do You Do Me/I Want You So Bad/I Love You, Yes I Do/Strange Things Happen/Bewildered/Please, Please, Please" 6:27
8. "Night Train" 3:26

bonus tracks
9. "Think" (Single Mix, Radio Promo Version) 2:01
10. "Medley: I Found Someone/Why Do You Do Me/I Want You So Bad" (Single Mix) 2:10
11. "Lost Someone" (Single Mix) 2:43
12. "I'll Go Crazy" (Single Mix) 2:18







No comments:

Post a Comment