Wednesday, May 29, 2013

eternally yours









The Saints relocated to London and expanded on their protopunk sound to the chagrin of their new label.  The group had formed in Brisbane, Australia and started their own label Fatal Records to release their first single '(I'm) Stranded' in 1976.  The song was overlooked in their home country; but became a sensation in the UK, leading to a three album deal with EMI.  Their audacious debut album '(I'm) Stranded' was cranked out in two days.  The group was encouraged to come to England to record and tour.  By this time, bassist Kym Bradshaw had quit the band.  

'Eternally Yours' was recorded at Roundhouse Studios in London with Chris Bailey on vocals, Ed Kuepper on guitar, Ivor Hay on drums, and Algy Ward on bass; with brass arrangements by Graham Preskett and harmonica by Iain Ward.  The sessions were produced by Chris Bailey & Ed Kuepper, who also wrote all of the songs.  EMI tried to market the Saints as a typical punk band; but the members of the band were resistant.  Bailey recounts in the reissue liner notes:    "I suspect EMI was expecting some kind of 'punk' opus and whilst 'Eternally Yours' is not a million miles away from the 'noisy angst' of the first album, I guess they found the inclusion of a horn section and lack of obvious 'punkoid sentiment' a bit daunting as a marketing exercise. I can still recall the disappointed grimaces in the A & R department when the album was delivered.  It was also around this time that the band had it's first encounter with the showbiz phenomenon known as the 'makeover'.  Suffice to say it wasn`t a terribly happy meeting for either side, fortunately though for the world of fashion the dreaded 'saints suit' never made it off the drawing board....So poor sales and lack of communication between all concerned parties led to the disillusionment and subsequent disintegration of the early band.  In retrospect it's clear to me that the mood of the record was a cynical response to the hype\hypocrisy of the pre fab anarchy of the english punky rock marketing machine. I think the band was still pretty naive at this stage and the stubborn resistance to the repeated attempts to make us over as some kind of antipodean Sex Pistols (ie;turn us into a pop product) didn't endear the group to either management or the record company. It was the height of punky hysteria and I guess we showed extremely bad taste by not wishing to be swept up in it. Anyway apparently the record didn't sell well and even before the next album was considered it was pretty obvious that our patrons were rapidly losing interest."








http://www.saintsmusic.com/







'Know Your Product' in solarised colour.  


(Yeah
All right
Sing it up, west coast
Too much!)

I'm just sitting in my chair when a voice comes on the air
Says "Why don't you try it? You'll feel allright!"
"Got some great new brand of smokes
"Cool your head and clear your throat
"Keeps you young and so in touch."

Cheap advertising, you're lying
Never gonna get me what I want
I said, smooth talking, brain washing
Ain't never gonna get me what I need

"Our new soap that's peachy keen saves your soul and keeps you clean
"It's recommended, used by the queen
"Gonna improve your IQ, help in everything you do
"It's economic, don't cost too much."

Said advertising, you're lying
Never gonna give me what I want
I said, smooth talking, brain washing
Ain't never gonna get me what I need

(I said take it,
Come on,
Soul man.
Let's shoot the professor!
Alright!)

I'm just sitting in my chair when a voice comes on the air
Says "Why don't you try it? You'll feel allright!"
"It's a great new brand of smokes
"Cool your head and clears your throat
"Keeps you young and so in touch."

Said advertising, you're lying
You're never gonna give me what I want
I said smooth talking, brain washing
You're never gonna get me what I need

(What do I care?
Yeah! Hey man,
Where's the professor?
We need him now!
Gonna tell you 'bout them
Yeah we take it all the way 'round the world
For that west coast feel
Yeah man.
Yeah everything, let it out
It's not what you love
Look out on the radio
All right.
Yeah.
Yeah...)






'Eternally Yours'

full album:





All tracks composed by Ed Kuepper and Chris Bailey; except where indicated

"Know Your Product" - 3:15
"Lost and Found" - 3:50
"Memories Are Made of This" - 2:20 (Ed Kuepper)
"Private Affair" - 2:05
"A Minor Aversion" - 3:07
"No, Your Product" - 4:07
"This Perfect Day" - 2:30
"Run Down" - 2:32
"Orstralia" - 2:24 (Ed Kuepper)
"New Centre of the Universe" - 2:21
"Untitled" - 2:47
"(I'm) Misunderstood" - 2:46
"International Robots" - 1:58


No comments:

Post a Comment