Thursday, May 10, 2012

rio








Duran Duran took the world by storm with the lush and sophisticated new wave funk and groundbreaking visuals of this iconic pop masterpiece.   'Rio' was recorded at Associated Independent Recording (AIR) Studios in London with Colin Thurston, who had also produced their eponymous debut.  Bassist John Taylor says:  "Without Colin's depth of vision, we would never have become the band we became. He will be remembered as an important musical stylist who was a major catalyst for the Eighties sound."  

Keyboardist Nick Rhodes explains the process:  "We consciously continued writing as soon as we had finished our first album, so 'Rio' was a natural evolution of the band's sound, it was not in any way effected or influenced by the success of the first album...For the second album, we wrote it in six weeks, recorded in another six weeks; and we we wrote it all together as new songs.  That is why to us the new album is so much stronger; it's very mature.  It's the first proper Duran Duran album."

Lead singer Simon Le Bon remembers: "When we went in to make the second album, when we were starting thinking about it, [John Taylor] came up with the title 'Rio' and said, 'I think this sort of says it all in kind of a Roxy Music cool sort of way.' And we were like, 'Yeah!' It absolutely, does. And we'd been to America and it had a lot of references to America in it. And I'd seen this girl working as a waitress in a cocktail bar. And I just started writing on the back of a napkin about how she was, and that's what turned into the verse."

Drummer Roger Taylor says:  " A lot of the songs were written around drum and bass tracks because the songs were changed so much. We'd have a song, John and I would put down the bass guitar and drum tracks, and the guys would put the song down on the top. Then maybe an hour later they'd say, 'I'm not sure about that bit. I'm not sure about this bit.'' Then they'd try something else on the same track. Two days later, the whole track on the top would have changed and the only original things would be the bass guitar and the drums. The whole song would have changed around the same backing track. It's quite weird when I listen back now, because I put the drums down to another song. Also, on some tracks, we actually changed the drums. I'd put the drums down and the song would go over the top. Then I'd think, 'I don't really like the drum track on that,' so I would play along to the song and have a new drum track. There was a lot of chopping and changing on this album. The way we did it was very unorthodox."




The sound of the album is dynamic, with the rhythm section of John and Roger Taylor providing a propulsive undercurrent for the toothy guitar riffs of Andy Taylor and the swirling majesty of Rhodes' synthesizer.  While the music is impressive, it was the videos filmed on location in Antigua and Sri Lanka that made the most dramatic impact.  They decided to work again with director Russell Mulcahy, who had directed their first video for 'Planet Earth'.  

Rhodes recalls:  "When the rest of the band had to travel to Sri Lanka to begin filming the videos for the album, I made the decision to stay in London with our producer, Colin Thurston, until the final mixes were completed. The details are very important to me and I wanted to ensure that every mix was as perfect as it could possibly be. So by the time I boarded the plane to Sri Lanka, I had a cassette of the final mixes and was very happy with what we had achieved."

The memorable album cover was painted by artist Patrick Nagel and designed by Malcolm Garrett.  Le Bon replies to assertions that they were selling a lifestyle with their fashionable clothing and slick videos: "No! Rio wasn't a lifestyle, it was total fantasy. You don't wear a silk Anthony Price suit on a boat with some painted chick running around. It was a comedy video. None of us had boats. It was a greedy reaction to the hard times that had gone before."

Guitarist Andy Taylor says of the success of their music videos:  "Don’t forget, we gave all those videos to MTV for free!  They are the two billion dollar company and we give them the content for free... The quid pro quo with top 40 radio and MTV, it was exposure the likes that no one had ever had before.  And being filmed young, it keeps you in the right place.  It’s like Elvis movies, you know?  You just see the young version.  But it was television, as well, MTV.  You know we had the naysayers and kind of the older artists were like ‘Uggghhh.’  Look, it’s called Music Television, and doesn’t everyone want to get on television?"



The band was convinced by their label to bring in producer David Kershenbaum to create some new dance mixes for their twelve-inch club singles; which were released on an EP called 'Carnival'.  Some of these remixed versions were put on a new version of the 'Rio' album for the US market.  'Rio' went to number six in the US, number three in Finland, number two in New Zealand and the UK, and number one in Australia and Canada. 






http://www.duranduran.com/










The single for 'Rio' peaked at number nine in Ireland and the UK.  Nick says: "We were on holiday in Antigua, staying next to each other, like the Monkees. We were rung up and told, 'Stay there, we're bringing a film crew.' I only like boats when they're tied up, and you can have a cocktail without spilling it. We were initially going to shoot the video for 'Rio' indoors and we'd had Antony Price make these beautiful suits for us. I remember thinking: 'Oh my God, that sea water, it's going to ruin all this silk.'"

"I've seen you on the beach and I've seen you on TV
Two of a billion stars it means so much to me
Like a birthday or a pretty view
But then I'm sure that you know it's just for you
Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
Just like that river twisting through a dusty land
And when she shines she really shows you all she can
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande"



'My Own Way' was the first song recorded for the album at Townhouse Studios in October of 1981.  It was also the first single, charting at number twenty in Ireland, fourteen in Finland and the UK, twelve in New Zealand, and peaking at number ten in Australia.  

"Number one public figure: what a pain 
Just puts another rattle in your brain
Take another green but it's not the same
So now you're on the sandlane everyday 
Dancing with the bulls in any old way
Running like a fox to keep up with me
'Cause I've got my own way, 
I can find my own way, 
'Cause I've got my own way"




'Lonely In Your Nightmare'

"Even on the darkest night 

When empty promise means empty hand
And soldiers coming home like shadows turning red
And when the lights of hope are fading quickly 
Then look to me
I'll be your homing angel I'll be in your head
Because you're lonely in your nightmare let me in
And there's heat beneath your winter let me in"



The 'Little Red Riding Hood' inspired 'Hungry Like the Wolf' was a top five hit around the world, driven by the popularity of the Raiders of the Lost Ark style music video filmed in the Sri Lankan jungle.  In the US, the song peaked at number three.  Roger remembers the response in the US:  "That was one of the first places our videos were seen. We'd go to Alabama or Texas and the girls would be screaming and the guys in cowboy hats would be looking at us with clenched fists. I don't suppose they'd seen so many guys in make-up pouting before." Simon says: "It worked for us though. Video made it possible to create a cult of personality across the globe. You arrive on a tour bus and they'd already seen us on a yacht in a video."

"In touch with the ground

I'm on the hunt I'm after you
Smell like I sound, I'm lost in a crowd
And I'm hungry like the wolf
Straddle the line in discord and rhyme
I'm on the hunt I'm after you
Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I'm hungry like the wolf"



After writing the lyrics to 'Hold Back the Rain', Simon slipped them under John's door.  At the time John was doing a lot of cocaine.   

"Yes we're miles away from nowhere 
And the wind doesn't have a name
So call it what you want to call 
It still blows down the lane
People tell me I haven't changed at all 
But I don't feel the same
And I've bet you've had that feeling too 
You can't laugh all the time
And if the fires burn out there's only fire to blame
(hold back the rain)
No time for worry cause we're on the roam again 
(hold back the rain)
The clouds all scatter and we ride the outside lane 
(hold back the rain)
Not on your own so help me please hold back the rain
So what if the words ain't rhyming 
Did you thing that it's just a game
I probably didn't even say that right  
And I really don't give a damn
Okay go off and wander 
I'm guilty just the same
Sometimes you're needed badly 
So please come back again"




'New Religion' is "a dialogue between the ego and the alter-ego".  

"Gotta take pay the saints 'n sinners 

In regulation hats 'n scarves 'n things
Walking in formation down the lane, 
They carry their cross, make a church bell ring 
Army majors pull a mean cool truth, 
There lying in a swimming pool
Searching for the undeniable truth that 
A man is just a fool
(Don't know why this evil bothers me)
Take another chance boy, carry the fight, 
You can take him if you're fast
(So why is he trying to follow me?)
Didn't I say if you're holding on 
You'd be laughing at the last
(How many reasons do they need?)
I get along fine with them friends of mine 
But you have to make a choice
(I might just believe this time)
You're singing out of tune but the beat's in time 
And it's us who makes the noise
I'm talking for free, 
I can't stop myself, It's a new religion
I've something to see, 
I can't help myself, It's a new religion"




The intoxicating swoon of 'Last Chance on the Stairway' may be my favorite of all of their songs.  

"Wonder why 
What makes me rise so high
Maybe it's something they put in your perfume 
Or the look in your eyes
It could be the atmosphere sinking 
I don't even know what you're thinking
I don't even know what you're drinking 
But it keeps this heaven alive
And sometimes I'm caught in a landslide 
And my heart beats so in time can you look at me
I'm out of reach I'll talk if it feels right 
I'm so nervous to say: tell me can't you see
And if you want I'll fall off forever 
I can't say no more: baby dance with me
And please don't say leave it till later 
I've had my last chance on the stairway"

Duran Duran 'Last Chance On The Stairway ' from flip on Vimeo.





'Save a Prayer' went to number two in Ireland and the UK.  During the filming of the video, Andy fell in a lagoon and accidentally drank some of the water.  He caught a virus and had to be hospitalized during their Australian tour.  

"Pretty looking road,

Try to hold the rising floods that fill my skin
Don't ask me why I'll keep my promise
Melt the ice
And you wanted to dance so I asked you to dance
But fear is in your soul
Some people call it a one night stand
But we can call it paradise
Don't say a prayer for me now,
Save it 'til the morning after
No, don't say a prayer for me now,
Save it 'til the morning after"



The racy video for 'The Chauffeur' has been banned in many places, including youtube.  

"The sun slips down bedding heavy behind
The front of your dress all shadowy lined
And the droning engine throbs in time
With your beating heart
Sing Blue Silver"

http://vimeo.com/9976137

No comments:

Post a Comment