Tuesday, May 8, 2012

chariots of fire











Vangelis had a long, slow run to the top of the charts with this inspirational instrumental title theme. Greek composer Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou wrote the entire soundtrack for ‘Chariots of Fire’, a film about runners in the 1924 Olympics. Director Hugh Hudson told his old friend Vangelis that he wanted something contemporary: "I knew we needed a piece which was anachronistic to the period to give it a feel of modernity. It was a risky idea but we went with it rather than have a period symphonic score. It's become iconic film music - perhaps in the top ten famous soundtracks of all time - which is good because the music is about thirty percent of a film."

Vangelis recalls: “As was everyone, when I saw the opening scene I was enthusiastic, although Hugh Hudson had already chosen and used another piece of my music, specifically 'L'Enfant’ from the album ‘Opera Sauvage‘. Hugh felt this piece fit perfectly and there was no need for other music for the opening scene. So, even though I had a strong feeling to write something new and much more appropriate, it seemed the issue had already been closed. In spite of this, I wrote the theme we all know, and at the last moment, when the remaining music was completed and we needed to lock the picture, I gave it to Hugh Hudson asking him to synchronize it with the opening scene. I told him that, if he considered the new theme to be better, he could use it and if not to use what he at first had in mind. Fortunately, he made the right choice. I can't say that I expected to win the Oscar and maybe that's why I didn't have any great anxiety. That same night in London, I was celebrating my birthday with some close friends over a nice dinner. After I blew out the candles, we continued with a few more drinks and later I went to bed. Around 4 in the morning, due to the time difference between LA and London, a dear friend called me from New York and woke me up screaming '’You got it!'’'

Listed on the soundtrack album simply as ‘Titles’ because it appears during the opening credits, the single was eventually retitled as ‘Chariots of Fire’ and made a slow five month climb to the top of the US singles chart. It was the only time that a Greek artist has ever achieved such a feat. It went to number four on the Canadian Singles Chart, number twelve on the Dutch Top 40 and UK Singles Chart, number fifteen on the Irish Singles Chart, number eight on the New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart, and topped both the US Billboard Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts. The soundtrack album also went to the top of the US album chart and won an Academy Award for Best Original Music Score and the film won three more for Costume Design, Original Screenplay, and Best Picture.













No comments:

Post a Comment