Saturday, May 19, 2012

in the city












The Jam boldly took their 60's fixations into the punk ethos and rose above the crowd with the tightly-wound Mod nuggets of their stylish, socially-conscious debut. 'In the City' was recorded in eleven days at Stratford Place in London for Polydor Records and produced by Vic Smith and Chris Parry.  The trio of guitarist and lead singer Paul Weller, drummer Rick Buckler, and bassist Bruce Foxton had begun as a rock and roll covers band until Weller discovered the Who:  "I saw that through becoming a Mod it would give me a base and an angle to write from, and this we eventually did. We went out and bought suits and started playing Motown, Stax and Atlantic covers. I bought a Rickenbackerguitar, a Lambretta GP 150 and tried to style my hair like Steve Marriott’s circa ’66.".  Although they played with the energy of the punk movement, their fashionable suits and serious musicianship set them apart from their peers.  'In the City' went to number twenty on the UK album chart.  






http://www.thejamfan.net/









"Art School"


"I've Changed My Address"



"I Got By in Time"



"Away from the Numbers"



The single of "In the City" went to number forty and the riff was used by the Sex Pistols for 'Holiday in the Sun'.





"Time for Truth"








'In the City' 
full album:



0:00  - "Art School" 
2:02  - "I've Changed My Address"
5:33  - "Slow Down"
8:12  - "I Got By in Time"
10:19 - "Away from the Numbers"
14:23 - "Batman Theme"
15:53 - "In the City"
18:12 - "Sounds from the Street"
21:26 - "Non-Stop Dancing" 
23:54 - "Time for Truth" 
27:03 - "Takin' My Love" 
29:19 - "Bricks and Mortar"

No comments:

Post a Comment