Saturday, April 21, 2012

check your head







The Beastie Boys went back to their hardcore roots, picked up their instruments again, moved away from their heavy use sampling, and managed to simultaneously simplify and diversify their hip-hop sound with this trippy collection of funk, punk, soul, jazz, pop, and electronica.  'Check Your Head' was recorded at the band's own G-Son Studios in Atwater Village, California with Mike D on drums, Ad-Rock on guitar, and MCA on bass.  The emphasis is more on the groove than with rapping with Mario Caldato, Jr. co-producing and giving the boys room to jam.    Money Mark Ramos Nishita adds organ, synthesizer, keyboards, clavinet, and wurlitzer to the mix with percussion contributions from James Bradley, Jr., Drew Lawrence, Art Oliva, and Juanito Vazquez.  The eclectic, experimental sound was embraced by the college crowd, went on to influence a new generation of alternative rockers, and reaffirmed the band's credibility both commercially and critically.  'Check Your Head'  was released on their Grand Royal  subsidiary of Capitol Records and went double-platinum, peaking at number ten on the Billboard album chart.

























"Jimmy James"



"People how you doing there's a new day dawning
For the earth mother it's a brand new morning
For such a long while there's been such longing
But now the sun is shining let's roll back the awning
This is a type of kinda like a formal dedication
Giving out a shout for much inspiration
All I ever wanna do is get nice
Get loose and goof my little slice of life
Sendin' out love to all corners of the land
Jump up on the stage and take the mic in my hand
Not playin' the role just being who I am
And if you try to dis me I couldn't give a damn
'Cause I'm rockin'
Bass from the back of my car feels soothing
Eight bazookas is what I'm using
I'm Mike D. and it's been proven
I love it when I see the party people movin'
Strapped on the ear goggles and what did I see
But the music brought the people into harmony"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5d46g_beastie-boys-jimmy-james-lp-version_music#.UXNEVRw4GjQ


Beastie Boys - Jimmy James (LP Version) by cyd125





"Gratitude" 



"Good times gone and you missed them
What's gone wrong in your system
Things they bounce just like a spalding
What'd you think did you miss your calling
It's so free this kind of feeling
It's like life it's so appealing
When you've got so much to say
It's called gratitude, and that's right
Good times gone but you feed it
Hate's grown strong you feel you need it
Just one thing do you know
What you think that the world owes you
What's gonna set you free
Look inside and you'll see
When you've got so much to say
It's called gratitude, and that's right"






"So What'cha Want" 


"Just plug me in just like I was Eddie Harris
You're eating crazy cheese 
Like you would think I'm from Paris
You know I get fly, you think I get high
You know that I'm gone and I'mma tell you all why
So tell me who are you dissing? Maybe I'm missing
The reason that you're smiling or wilding
So listen in my head I just want to take 'em down
Imagination set loose and I'm gonna shake 'em down
Let it flow like a mud slide
When I get on I like to ride and glide
I've got depth of perception in my text y'all
I get props at my mention 'cause I vex y'all
So what'cha want
I get so funny with the money that you flaunt
I said where'd you get your information from huh?
You think that you can front when revelation comes
Yeah, you can't front on that"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9gity_beastie-boys-so-what-cha-want-album_music#.UXNJhRw4GjQ


Beastie Boys So What'cha Want Album Check Your... by Yst01






"Namasté" 

"A butterfly floats on the breeze of a sun lit day
As I feel this reality gently fade away
Riding on a thought to see where it's from
Gliding through a memory of a time yet to come
Smoke paints the air
Swirling images through my mind
Like a whirlpool spin beginning to unwind
And I stand at the edge cautiously awaiting
As time slips by
Carefully navigating by the stars in the sky
And I sit
And I think to myself
And on the horizon the sun light begins to climb
And it seems like it's been so long since he shined
But I'm sure it was only yesterday
A cold chill of fear cut through meI felt my heart contract
To my mind I brought the image of light
And I expanded out of it
My fear was just a shadow
And then I voice spoke in my head
And she said dark is not the opposite of light
It's the absence of light
And I thought to myself
She knows what she's talking about
And for a moment I know
What it was all about."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CjKAWyOb74





'Check Your Head'

full album:

http://www.myspace.com/beastieboys/music/albums/check-your-head-explicit-18984145





1. "Jimmy James" Beastie Boys, Caldato 3:14
2. "Funky Boss" Beastie Boys, Nishita 1:35
3. "Pass the Mic" Beastie Boys, Caldato 4:17
4. "Gratitude" Beastie Boys, Cushman 2:45
5. "Lighten Up" Beastie Boys Nishita  2:41
6. "Finger Lickin' Good"  Beastie Boys Caldato Fite Hill 3:39
7. "So What'cha Want" Beastie Boys 3:37
8. "The Biz vs. The Nuge"  Hall Nugent 0:33
9. "Time for Livin'" Sly & the Family Stone 1:48
10. "Something's Got to Give"  Beastie Boys Caldato Nishita 3:28
11. "The Blue Nun" Beastie Boys 0:32
12. "Stand Together" Beastie Boys Caldato  2:47
13. "POW" Beastie Boys Nishita 2:13
14. "The Maestro" Beastie Boys 2:52
15. "Groove Holmes" Beastie Boys Nishita 2:33
16. "Live at P.J.'s" Beastie Boys Nishita 3:18
17. "Mark on the Bus" Nishita 1:05
18. "Professor Booty" Beastie Boys Caldato 4:13
19. "In 3's" Beastie Boys Nishita 2:23
20. "Namasté" Beastie Boys Nishita 4:01








No comments:

Post a Comment