Thursday, April 5, 2012

the bridge








Sonny Rollins emerged from his three year sabbatical from performing without missing a beat on this solid and soothing comeback album. Rollins explains: "I was getting very famous at the time and I felt I needed to brush up on various aspects of my craft. I felt I was getting too much, too soon, so I said, wait a minute, I'm going to do it my way. I wasn't going to let people push me out there, so I could fall down. I wanted to get myself together, on my own. I used to practice on the Bridge, the Williamsburg Bridge because I was living on the Lower East Side at the time." His first album for RCA Records, 'The Bridge' was recorded with Jim Hall on guitar, Bob Cranshaw on bass and Ben Riley on drums. It is one of his most successful albums. 







http://sonnyrollins.com/










'The Bridge' 
full album:




"Without a Song" (Edward Eliscu, Billy Rose, Vincent Youmans) 
"Where Are You?" (Harold Adamson, Jimmy McHugh) 
"John S." (Sonny Rollins) 
"The Bridge" (Rollins) 
"God Bless the Child" (Arthur Herzog Jr., Billie Holiday) 
"You Do Something to Me" (Cole Porter)



No comments:

Post a Comment