Wednesday, February 8, 2012

marquee moon









Lightning struck itself when these neon boys added a little velvet to the New York punk underground with the garage guitars and sophisticated soundscapes of their seminal post punk new wave debut. Members of Television literally helped build the stage at CBGB, and became regulars at the club where the tendency of guitarists Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd to jam onstage led to comparisons to the Grateful Dead. It also led original bassist Richard Hell to leave for the more primal punk of the Heartbreakers and then the Voidoids. Former Blondie bassist Fred Smith replaced him to round out the rhythm section with founding drummer Billy Ficca. Television had originally wanted jazz engineer Rudy Van Gelder to produce the album, but Verlaine ended up taking the helm with Andy Johns at New York's A&R Studios. While 'Marquee Moon' didn't even chart in the US, it peaked at number twenty-eight in the UK. 'Marquee Moon' went on to influence a whole new generation of ambitious rockers that weren't afraid to experiment.


"See No Evil"

"Don't say unconscious
No don't say doom.
If you got to say it
let me leave this room
Cuz what I want
I want now
and it's a whole lot more
than 'anyhow.'
I'm runnin wild with the one i love
I see no evil
I'm runnin wild with the one-eyed ones
I see no evil
Pull down the future with the one you love
Pull down the future"




"Venus"

"Didja feel low? No, not at all. Huh???
I fell right into the Arms of Venus de Milo.
I stood up, walked out of the Arms of Venus de Milo.
You know it's all like some new kind of drug.
My senses are sharp and my hands are like gloves.
Broadway looked so medieval -
it seemed to flap, like little pages:
I fell sideways laughing with a friend from many stages.
How l felt."




"Friction"

"I knew it musta been some big set-up.
All the Action just would not let up.
It's just a little bit back from the main road
Where the silence spreads and the men dig holes.
I start to spin the tale
You complain of my diction"





"Marquee Moon"

"Life in the hive puckered up my night,
the kiss of death, the embrace of life.
There I stand neath the Marquee Moon
Hesitating..."





"Guiding Light"

Darling Darling
Do we part like the seas? The roaring shell...
The drifting of the leaves...
All intent
Remains unknown.
It's time to sit up
Up on the throne.
It's seen before but it's always new.
So look close and see who's come thru.
Never again to face this night
Guiding Light, Guiding Light
Guiding thru these nights."





"Prove It"

Prove it... just the facts... the confidential
This case, this case, this case that i...
i've been workin' on so long...
first you creep
then you leap
up about a hundred feet
yet you're in so deep
you could write the Book.






















'Marquee Moon'

full album:




All songs written by Tom Verlaine, except where noted.

Side one
1. "See No Evil" 3:56
2. "Venus" 3:48
3. "Friction" 4:43
4. "Marquee Moon" 9:58
Side two
5. "Elevation" 5:08
6. "Guiding Light" (Verlaine and Richard Lloyd) 5:36
7. "Prove It" 5:04
8. "Torn Curtain" 7:00


bonus:

Little Johnny Jewell Parts 1 & 2 47:05
See No Evil (Alternate Version) 54:20
Friction (Alternate Version) 59:05
Marquee Moon (Alternate Version)1:04:05
O Mi Amore (Instrumental)  1:15:03














No comments:

Post a Comment