Friday, February 24, 2012

either/or










Elliott Smith expanded his sound ever-so-slightly for the dreamy, existential, acoustic grace of his third album. 'Either/Or' features the addition of new instrumentation, including bass, drums, keyboards, and electric guitar; all of them played by Smith himself. At the time Smith said, "I got my own 8-track and stuff to do my solo stuff on; and I also got a drum set; and I borrowed a bass; so now I'm doing songs that have bass and stuff." 'Either/Or' takes its title from by Søren Kierkegaard's dualistic book of philosophy, which Smith had studied at Hampshire College. Produced by Smith with Tom Rothrock and Rob Schnapf, the album was recorded at various locations including Smith's house, Joanna Bolme's house, Heatmiser House, The Shop, Undercover, Inc., and Laundry Rules Recording. The album was released on Kill Rock Stars and three of the songs were featured in the film 'Good Will Hunting'. Two of them were recorded live for Jem Cohen's short film 'Lucky Three: An Elliott Smith Portrait'.










http://www.sweetadeline.net/











'Speed Trials'

"He's pleased to meet you underneath the horse
In the cathedral with the glass stained black
Singing sweet high notes that echo back
To destroy their master
May be a long time til you get the call-up
But it's sure as fate and hard as your luck
No one'll know where you are
It's just a brief smile crossing your face
Running speed trials still standing in place"







'Between the Bars'

"Drink up, baby, look at the stars
I'll kiss you again, between the bars
Where I'm seeing you there, with your hands in the air
Waiting to finally be caught"





'Angeles'

"Don't start me trying now
Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh
'Cause I'm all over it, Angeles
I can make you satisfied in
Everything you do
All your secret wishes could right
Now be coming true
And be forever with my poison arms
Around you
No one's gonna fool around with us
No one's gonna fool around with us
So glad to meet'cha, Angeles"




'Say Yes'

"And I could be another fool or an exception to the rule
You tell me the morning after
Crooked spin can't come to rest
I'm damaged bad at best
She'll decide what she wants
I'll probably be the last to know
No one says until it shows and you see how it is
They want you or they don't
Say yes
I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl
Who's still around the morning after"








'Either/Or' 
full album:





All tracks written by Elliott Smith.


1. "Speed Trials" 3:01
2. "Alameda" 3:43
3. "Ballad of Big Nothing" 2:48
4. "Between the Bars" 2:21
5. "Pictures of Me" 3:46
6. "No Name No. 5" 3:43
7. "Rose Parade" 3:28
8. "Punch and Judy" 2:25
9. "Angeles" 2:56
10. "Cupid's Trick" 3:04
11. "2:45 AM" 3:18
12. "Say Yes" 2:19




No comments:

Post a Comment