Friday, November 25, 2011

sticky fingers












The Rolling Stones started their own label and stepped boldly into the seventies with the finger-lickin'- goodies of this raw and ragged blues rock masterpiece. 'Sticky Fingers' was their first album recorded without Brian Jones, who was replaced with Mick Taylor. Most of the album was recorded at Mick Jagger's estate at Stargroves using their mobile recording studio. Two songs, 'Brown Sugar' and 'Wild Horses', were recorded while still under contract with Allen Klein, who co-owns the rights to them. It was the third in their celebrated series of classic albums that included 'Beggars Banquet', 'Let It Bleed', and 'Exile on Main Street', all of them produced by Jimmy Miller. 'Sticky Fingers' has a murkier sound than its predecessors, which adds to its down-and-dirty authenticity; but it also includes some of their most poignant and heartfelt balladry. The album went to number one in Australia, the UK, and the US.










http://www.rollingstones.com/











The scandalous sadomasochistic sex slavery of 'Brown Sugar' was the first single released on Rolling Stones Records. It made it to number one in the US and number two in the UK.


"I bet your mama was a tent show queen,
And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen.
I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like,
You should have heard me just around midnight."







'Sway' has a raucous blues swagger.


"Did you ever wake up to find
A day that broke up your mind
Destroyed your notion of circular time"







The classic country weeper 'Wild Horses' was released as a single in the US and made it number twenty eight on the charts.

"I know I've dreamed you a sin and a lie
I have my freedom but I don't have much time
Faith has been broken tears must be cried
Let's do some living after we die"






'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' features an extended jazz coda with Bobby Keys on saxophone.


"Hear me ringing big bell tolls
Hear me singing soft and low
Ive been begging on my knees
Ive been kickin, help me please"





The nasty, hard-rocking 'Bitch' has an even nastier riff.


"Yeah when you call my name
I salivate like a Pavlov dog
Yeah when you lay me out
My heart starts beating like a big bass drum, alright"






'Sister Morphine' was recorded during the 'Let It Bleed' sessions at the Muscle Shoals studios in Alabama. Marianne Faithful released her version as a single in 1969 and received a writing credit for the song after a legal battle.


"Well it just goes to show things are not what they seem
Please, Sister Morphine, turn my nightmares into dreams.
Oh can't you see I'm fading fast? And that this shot will be my last."






'Dead Flowers' is a cheeky honky tonk put down.

"
Take me down little Susie, take me down

I know you think you're the Queen of the Underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flower by the mail
Send me dead flowers to my wedding
And I won't forget to put roses on your grave"






The gorgeous 'Moonlight Mile' closes the album with the flourish of Paul Buckmaster's strings.

"The sound of strangers sending nothing to my mind
Just another mad mad day on the road
I am just living to be lying by your side"






'Sticky Fingers' 

full album:




All songs written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, except where noted.


Side one
1. "Brown Sugar"   3:48
2. "Sway"   3:50
3. "Wild Horses"   5:42
4. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"   7:14
5. "You Gotta Move" (Fred McDowell/Gary Davis) 2:32
Side two
6. "Bitch"   3:38
7. "I Got the Blues"   3:54
8. "Sister Morphine" (Jagger/Richards/Marianne Faithfull) 5:31
9. "Dead Flowers"   4:03
10. "Moonlight Mile"   5:56








No comments:

Post a Comment