Tuesday, November 22, 2011

hejira















Joni Mitchell stepped out of her comfort zone with the haunting jazz poetry of this reflective travelogue. The title comes from the Arabic word for journey. Mitchell says: "To me, the whole 'Hejira' album was really inspired. I feel a lot of people could have written 'Chelsea Morning', but I don't think anyone else could have written the songs on 'Hejira'. I wrote the album while traveling cross-country by myself and there is this restless feeling throughout it. . . . The sweet loneliness of solitary travel. What happened was I had driven across the country with a couple of friends, starting in California when they showed up at my door. One was an old boyfriend from Australia who had a 20-day visa and wanted to go to Maine to kidnap his daughter from this grandmother. You could have made a whole movie about that trip. 'Refugee of the Roads' grew out of that experience. On the way back, I went down the coast to Florida and then followed the Gulf of Mexico across the country, staying in old '50s motels and eating at health food stores."

The band includes luminaries like Larry Carlton on guitar and Jaco Pastorious on bass, helping to flesh out the extended musical sketches with grace and subtlety. The romantic character studies deal with the transience of life, commitment and freedom, loneliness and individuality, and the transformative healing power of nature. 'Hejira' peaked at number thirteen on the US album chart and went gold; but it marked the beginning of a more difficult period for Mitchell, commerically and artistically.







http://jonimitchell.com/









'Coyote'

"I looked a Coyote right in the face
On the road to Baljennie near my old home town
He went running through the whisker wheat
Chasing some prize down
And a hawk was playing with him
Coyote was jumping straight up and making passes
He had those same eyes - just like yours
Under your dark glasses
Privately probing the public rooms
And peeking through keyholes in numbered doors
Where the players lick their wounds
And take their temporary lovers
And their pills and powders to get them through this passion play"





'Amelia'
"I was thinking of Amelia Earhart and addressing it from one solo pilot to another... sort of reflecting on the cost of being a woman and having something you must do."

"People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Others just come to harm
Oh Amelia, it was just a false alarm"






'Hejira'

"I'm traveling in some vehicle
I'm sitting in some cafe
A defector from the petty wars
That shell shock love away
There's comfort in melancholy
When there's no need to explain
It's just as natural as the weather
In this moody sky today
In our possessive coupling
So much could not be expressed
So now I'm returning to myself
These things that you and I suppressed
I see something of myself in everyone
Just at this moment of the world
As snow gathers like bolts of lace
Waltzing on a ballroom girl"









'Black Crow'

"In search of love and music
My whole life has been
Illumination
Corruption
And diving, diving, diving, diving.
Diving down to pick up on every shiny thing
Just like that black crow flying
In a blue sky"




'Refuge of the Roads'

"I pulled off into a forest
Crickets clicking in the ferns
Like a wheel of fortune
I heard my fate turn, turn turn
And I went running down a white sand road
I was running like a white-assed deer
Running to lose the blues
To the innocence in here
These are the clouds of Michelangelo
Muscular with gods and sungold
Shine on your witness in the refuge of the roads"





'Hejira'
full album:




All tracks written by Joni Mitchell. 

Side one
1. "Coyote"   5:01
2. "Amelia"   6:01
3. "Furry Sings the Blues"   5:07
4. "A Strange Boy"   4:15
5. "Hejira"   6:42
Side two
6. "Song for Sharon"   8:40
7. "Black Crow"   4:22
8. "Blue Motel Room"   5:04
9. "Refuge of the Roads"   6:42




No comments:

Post a Comment