Tuesday, October 18, 2011

west side story

















Fifty years ago, the film adaptation of a Broadway musical based on a Shakespearean classic captured our imagination and produced one of the biggest albums of all time. 'West Side Story' was adapted from William Shakespeare's play 'Romeo and Juliet', modernizing the setting to Manhattan in the 1950's. The original script was written by Arthur Laurents, with music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, and choreography by Jerome Robbins. The movie screenplay was written by Ernest Lehman. Director Robert Wise worked with Jerome Robbins on the musical and dance portions of the film. The movie was a critical and commercial success, becoming the second biggest film that year. It went on to win numerous awards, including ten Oscars (a record for a musical): Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Best Film Editing, Best Music - Scoring of a Musical Picture, Best Sound, Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Cinematography, and Best Costume Design. The accompanying soundtrack album spent fifty-four weeks on top of the album chart, a record that still stands today.



Prologue





'Maria'

"I've just met a girl named Maria,
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same
To me. "



'America'

"I like to be in America!
O.K. by me in America!
Ev'rything free in America
For a small fee in America!"



'Tonight'

"Tonight, tonight
Won't be just any night,
Tonight there will be no morning star"




'I Feel Pretty'

"I feel stunning
And entrancing,
Feel like running and dancing for joy,
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy!"




'Somewhere'

"There's a place for us,
A time and place for us.
Hold my hand and we're halfway there.
Hold my hand and I'll take you there
Somehow,
Some day,
Somewhere!"





'A Boy Like That / I Have A Love'

"When love comes so strong,
There is no right or wrong,
Your love is your life."


No comments:

Post a Comment