Saturday, October 8, 2011

screamadelica














These Glasgow indie rockers made a techno-logical leap forward into the rave dance movement and found hedonistic redemption. Primal Scream now comprised original guitar-wielding threesome Bobby Gillespie, Andrew Innes, and Robert Young, rhythm section Henry Olsen and "Toby" Tomanov, and Martin Duffy on keyboards. They went into the studio with a team of DJ's, producers, and collaborators that included Terry Farley, Andrew Weatherall , Hugo Nicolson, Jimmy Miller, Jah Wobble, and The Orb. 'Screamadelica' combines the ambient sound of acid house with gospel, dub, and classic rock to produce a new hybrid that rode the neo-psychedelic wave sweeping over Britain. It reached number eight on the UK album chart and won the first Mercury Music Prize.



'Classic Albums'




The gospel groover 'Movin On Up' was inspired by Can's 'Yoo Doo Right' and 'Amazing Grace'.

"I was lost, but now I'm found
I believe in you, I got no bounds
I'm movin' on up now
Out of the darkness
My life shines on, my life shines on, my life shines on"





'Loaded' was their first foray into house music and their first major hit. Weatherall produced the track from one of their old songs 'I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have'. He added a drum loop from an Italian bootleg mix of 'What I Am' by Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, sampled Gillespie singing a line from 'Terraplane Blues' by Robert Johnson, and took some dialogue from the Peter Fonda B-movie 'The Wild Angels' and Andie MacDowell from the film 'Sex, Lies and Videotape'.


"I don't wanna lose your love"






'Higher Than the Sun'

"I'm beautiful
I wasn't born to follow
I live just for today
I don't care about tomorrow
What I got in my head
You can't buy, steal or borrow
I believe in life and let live
I believe you get what you give"





'Come Together' features samples of speeches by Jesse Jackson and Martin Luther King.

"Today on this program you will hear gospel,
And rhythm and blues, and jazz
All those are just labels
We know that music is music"




'Damaged' is a ballad that evokes the Rolling Stones.

"I lost myself in you
I'd wake up beside you
You'd hold me in your arms
Nothing and nobody's gonna do me
Any harm oh yeah
Said I felt so happy
My my my"




'Screamadelica' 
full album:





All tracks written by Bobby Gillespie, Andrew Innes, and Robert Young, except "Slip Inside This House" written by Roky Erickson and Tommy Hall.


1. "Movin' On Up" Jimmy Miller 3:47
2. "Slip Inside This House"  5:14
3. "Don't Fight It, Feel It" 6:51
4. "Higher Than the Sun" 3:36
5. "Inner Flight" 5:00
6. "Come Together"  10:21
7. "Loaded" 7:01
8. "Damaged" 5:37
9. "I'm Comin' Down" 5:59
10. "Higher Than the Sun (A Dub Symphony in Two Parts)"  7:37
11. "Shine Like Stars" 3:45



No comments:

Post a Comment