Friday, October 7, 2011

maggie may / reason to believe
















Rod Stewart kept us amused and broke records with his first number one. Rod says, "Maggie May was more or less a true story, about the first woman I had sex with, at the Beaulieu Jazz Festival. It nearly got left off because the label said it didn't have a melody. I said, 'Well, we've run out of time now, these are all the tracks we've recorded. They said, Alright, then, bring it on." He wrote the song with classical guitarist Martin Quittenton and recorded it with members of his band the Faces (although they were uncredited for legal reasons) for his second solo album 'Every Picture Tells a Story'. Ray Jackson played the familiar mandolin solo. It was originally the B-side to 'Reason to Believe'; but American DJ's started playing 'Maggie May' instead. In October of 1971, he became the first artist in history to have the number one single and the number one album in the US and the UK simultaneously. At the same time, it was also the number one single in Australia.




Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you
Its late september and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used
Oh Maggie I couldnt have tried any more
You lured me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that's what really hurt

The morning sun when it's in your face really shows your age
But that don't worry me none in my eyes you're everything
I laughed at all of your jokes my love you didn't need to coax
Oh, Maggie I couldn't have tried any more
You lured me away from home, just to save you from being alone
You stole my soul and that's a pain I can do without
All I needed was a friend to lend a guiding hand
But you turned into a lover and
Mother what a lover, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed
And in the morning kick me in the head
Oh Maggie I couldn't have tried anymore
You lured me away from home cause you didn't want to be alone
You stole my heart I couldnt leave you if I tried

I suppose I could collect my books and get on back to school
Or steal my daddy's cue and make a living out of playing pool
Or find myself a rock and roll band that needs a helpin' hand
Oh Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face
You made a first-class fool out of me
But I'm as blind as a fool can be
You stole my heart but I love you anyway

Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face
I'll get on back home one of these days






'Reason to Believe' was a cover of the song by American folk singer Tim Hardin. In addition to reaching number one as a double A-side with 'Maggie May', it charted again twenty-two years later after he performed it on 'MTV Unplugged', totalling forty-one weeks on the Hot 100, the longest stretch of any his singles.







No comments:

Post a Comment