Saturday, August 1, 2015

world clique











Deee-Lite used the power of love and positivity to prove that groove is in the heart with the de-lovely and delicious deepdish disco of this holographic sampledelic cosmopolitan caboodle.   American Kierin Magenta Kirby (Lady Miss Kier) teamed up with Russian Super DJ Dmitry Brill and Japanese Jungle DJ Towa Tei in New York to create a unique blend of house, techno, and funk that became a sensation in clubs and led to a seven album deal with Elektra Records.    Deee-Lite produced and arranged 'World Clique' with executive producer Bill Coleman and engineers Bob Power and Mike Rogers.   The album features  Lady Miss Kier on vocals;    Super DJ Dimitri on scratching and samples;    and   DJ Towa Tei on scratching, samples, keyboards;      with    additional vocals by  Bill Coleman, Sahirah Moore, and Sheila Slappy;   P-funk legend Bootsy Collins on bass and vocals;   rapping from A Tribe Called Quest's  Q-Tip;   and  James Brown cohorts  Maceo Parker  and  Fred Wesley  on  saxophone and trombone respectively.  


Towa Tei looks back:  "We had a kind of synchronicity.  We were like a family."


Dmitry Brill would express at the time:   "I don't want to be an icon for others, what I do want to show is that an individual can do whatever he likes and can go as far as he wants. Its up to them to take it to the limit. There is no limit. Its not about telling people what to do...[For me, spirituality is] simultaneous creation. I don't believe in coincidence...All humans constitute a collective consciousness and we all tap into it."






'World Clique'  reached number thirty-four on the US R&B chart, twenty-five in Austria, twenty on the US Billboard 200, fifteen in Canada, and number fourteen in the UK.    MTV nominated Deee-Lite for several Video Music Awards including "Video of the Year" "Best Dance Video" "Best New Artist" "Best Breakthrough Video" "Best Editing in a Video".

Lady Miss Kier expounds:   It’s funk, soul, curly, wiggly music ... I write lyrics just kind of a stream of consciousness. And then I write music on its own without thinking of the lyrics. But then, once I have a melody that I like, then I'll try to look to my lyrics and find the more meaningful ones and then I'll try and fit those lyrics to the melody. So, they're both happening simultaneously, but some lyrics I'm like, "This lyric is good, I've got to fit it in" and then I make sure I find a melody for it. So, they're both equally important. For a long time I used to spend a lot of time on the lyrics, but when I met the band, I spent a lot of more time trying to write the music...I can relate to outcasts, misfits, prostitutes, virgins and drag queens. You know I just like the freaks. I think there's a lot of a kind of double-life, mystery, in the life they lead. There's just a lot that attracts me to it . . . being an outcast. I'm always inspired by a freak ... [My spirituality is] synchronicity. It's the magic of the moment. Every moment in your life matters. There's no such thing as killing time."








http://www.ladykier.com/


http://www.towatei.com/


https://soundcloud.com/dj-dmitry





"Groove Is in the Heart" became a sensation around the globe, going to number thirty-one in France;  twenty-eight on the US R&B chart; twenty-five in Austria;  eighteen in Belgium;  seventeen in Germany;  sixteen in Italy;  fifteen on the Canadian pop chart;  thirteen in Switzerland;  ten in the Netherlands;  nine in Finland;  eight in Ireland;  four on the US pop chart;  three on the US cashbox chart;  two in New Zealand and the UK;  and number one in Australia, the Canadian dance chart, and the US dance sales and club play charts.

The song contains several samples:  
Bel-Sha-Zaar with Tommy Genapopoluis and the Grecian Knights - "Introduction" from the album The Art of Belly Dancing, 1969 (intro music, vocal sample: "We're going to dance, and have some fun")
Herbie Hancock – "Bring Down the Birds" from the soundtrack album Blowup, 1966 (bassline)
Vernon Burch – "Get Up" from the album Get Up (drums, crowd noise, slide whistle)
Ray Barretto – "Right On" from the album Barretto Power, 1972 (cowbell)
Theme from the TV series Green Acres (vocal sample: looped "I" sample ("I-i-i-i-i-i"), sung by Eva Gabor)
Ralph MacDonald – "Jam on the Groove" from the album Sound of a Drum, 1976 (percussion)
Billy Preston – "Uptight" from the album Wildest Organ in Town!, 1966 (breakbeat under rap by Q-Tip)
The Headhunters – "God Make Me Funky" from the album Survival of the Fittest, 1975 (drum fill)




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzoEK545j64


https://vimeo.com/10933771

Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart from Uporot on Vimeo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjoS-2zm9E




Dig

The chills that you spill up my back
Keep me filled with satisfaction when we're done
Satisfaction of what's to come

I couldn't ask for another
No, I couldn't ask for another

Your groove, I do deeply dig
No walls, only the bridge, my supper dish
My succotash wish

I couldn't ask for another
No, I couldn't ask for another

Groove is in the heart, Groove is in the heart
Groove is in the heart, Groove is in the heart

Watch out!

The depth of hula groove
Move us to the nth hoop
We're going through to, Horten hears a who

I couldn't ask for another
No, I couldn't ask for another

DJ Soul was on a roll
I been told he can't be sold
Not vicious or malicious
Just de-lovely and delicious

I couldn't ask for another

Someone's in this torso (yeah)
Hot! Gotta deal you wanna know (wanna know)
Dee-Liteful truly Dee-Liteful (liteful)
Makin' it doin' it 'specially at show (show)
Feeling kinda high like a Hendrix haze (haze)
Music makes motion moves like a maze (maze)
All inside of me (side)
Heart especially (yeah)
Help of the rhythm where I wanna be (c'mon)
Flowin' glowin' with electric eyes (ha)
You dip to the dive baby you'll realize (yeah)
Baby you'll see the funky side of me
Baby you'll see that rhythm is the key (hmm!)
Get get ready with it (with it)
Can't can't quit it (quit it)
Stomp on the street when I hear a funk beat (beat)
Playing Pied Piper
Follow what's true
Baby just sing about the groove (sing it)

Groove is in the heart
Groove is in the heart
Groove is in the heart
Groove is in the heart
Groove is in the heart




"Power Of Love" reached the top of the US dance chart. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOdh430r9kE






"Good Beat"  was another number one dance hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP55r5CDjI8






'World Clique' 
full album:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuw1Qt3GBje982RhYyiw5MIpwp6O9rR-q



All tracks written by Deee-Lite, except where noted.

"Deee-Lite Theme" (Deee-Lite, Herbie Hancock) 2:10
"Good Beat" 4:40
"Power of Love" 4:40
"Try Me on... I'm Very You" 5:14
"Smile On" 3:55
"What is Love?" 3:38
"World Clique" 3:20
"E.S.P." 3:43
"Groove Is in the Heart" 3:51
"Who Was That?" 4:35
"Deep-Ending" 3:47
"Build the Bridge" 4:32





interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FCY-WBV6vE





No comments:

Post a Comment