Monday, August 24, 2015

tanto tempo













Bebel Gilberto bid so long to old school bossa nova with the electronic update of this unrestrained global phenomenon.   Isabel Gilberto de Oliveira was born in 1966 in New York into a family of Brazilian musical luminaries.   Her father is João Gilberto, her mother is Heloisa (Miúcha) Buarque de Hollanda, and her uncle (Miúcha's brother) is Chico Buarque de Hollanda

Gilberto says:   "My musical education was my childhood in Brazil  My father was always playing the guitar and would often play it until I went to sleep...Seeing new cultures and how audiences worldwide can embrace my music is the exciting part...Music surrounded me [growing up] - it was like I was absorbing it without realising it. My parents never pushed me down this path and they also never said things like, 'You must be a doctor.' Music was just the natural path. The house was always full of music - and musicians. There were moments when I said to myself, 'I want normal parents, I want them to ask me to do my homework,' but it was always music, music, music. That was my life."

She first appeared on her mother's debut solo album at the age of seven.  She recorded Um Certo Geraldo Pereira, Funarte with Pedrinho Rodrigues in 1983 and made her solo debut in 1986 with the Bebel Gilberto EP.   In 1991, she took part in the De Tarde, Vendo O Mar compilation with Luizão Maia & Banzai.   




'Tanto Tempo'  was recorded at Wah Wah Studio in São Paulo, Gorila Mix Studio and Chico Neves Studio in Rio de Janeiro, Chocolate Factory Studios in London, Bundy's Farm in Los Angeles, and  Dada Studio in Brussels with Yugoslavian producer Mitar "Suba" Subotić.   During the final mixing there was a fire in the studio and Suba died of smoke inhalation trying to save the tapes.  


Gilberto considers:    "To try to make it as a musician in Brazil was too hard.  You never know if people like you or hate you because of who your parents are...My father could have more attention for me.  People say his talent must have helped me, but in fact he was so into his talent he ignored my talent. My mother had the same problem with him. Two years ago he was supposed to be performing with me in New York, but then on the day he was travelling instead. That was very hard for me...But you know, that's the way we have always been. He's a pure artist. He doesn't have email, he doesn't answer the phone. He doesn't go anywhere...He says my sound is too poppy ... Bossa Nova is never going to happen again.  What we have to work with now are not even the roots, but the petals of that time."


'Tanto Tempo' became an international sensation.  By the end of the year, it was the third biggest selling Brazilian album in US chart history, earning her two Latin Grammy nominations for Best Brazilian Album and Best New Artist.  In 2004, it became the biggest selling Brazilian album of all time, dethroning the classic album her father recorded with Stan Getz in 1964 'Getz/Gilberto'.  








http://bebelgilberto.com/








"Samba da Benção" is an old Baden Powell/Vinicius de Moraes song sung over the backing track of "Nova" by Amon Tobin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rlzdn9xk6c




"Bananeira" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kii1dLvxBDM




"Close Your Eyes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOxkKNUkUAg







'Tanto Tempo'  
full album:
https://myspace.com/bebelgilberto/music/album/tanto-tempo-11662242

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHGaDrztHZo1YNWwH5TSUil8o83nqtHTj




"Samba da Benção" (lyrics: Vinicius de Moraes, music: Baden Powell) - 4:47
"August Day Song" (music & lyrics: Bebel Gilberto (Isabel Gilberto de Oliveira), Nina Miranda, Chris Franck) - 4:37
"Tanto Tempo" (lyrics: Bebel Gilberto, music: Bebel Gilberto, Suba, Gilberto Gil (sample)) - 3:01
"Sem Contenção" (lyrics: Bebel Gilberto, music: Bebel Gilberto, Gerry Arling, Richard Cameron) - 3:10
"Mais Feliz" (lyrics: Cazuza (Agenor Miranda Araújo Neto), music: Bebel Gilberto, Dé (André Palmeira Cunha)) - 4:17
"Alguém" (lyrics: Bebel Gilberto, Roberto "Béco" Dranoff, music: Bebel Gilberto, Suba) - 4:04
"So Nice (Summer Samba)" (lyrics: Paulo Sérgio Valle, Norman Gimbel, music: Marcos Valle) - 3:32
"Lonely" (lyrics: Bebel Gilberto, music: Bebel Gilberto, Roberto Garza) - 2:24
"Bananeira" (lyrics Gilberto Gil, music: João Donato) - 3:26
"Samba e Amor" (music & lyrics: Francisco "Chico" Buarque De Hollanda) - 3:28
"Close Your Eyes" (lyrics: Dinho Ouro Preto, Bebel Gilberto, Roberto "Béco" Dranoff, music: Suba, Patricia Ermel) - 4:14

bonus
"No Return" (Ray Davies) - 4:45 




Tanto Tempo Remixes was released in 2001
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHGaDrztHZo1Hqe1Idnx1wSd33CC9XhEs





No comments:

Post a Comment