Tuesday, February 17, 2015

shazam












The Move threw the key away to create a psychedelic bubblegum cherry blossom clinic classical cabaret.  The group was formed in Birmingham in 1965 with members of several area groups (Carl Wayne, Chris "Ace" Kefford, and Bev Bevan from Carl Wayne & the Vikings;     Trevor Burton from Danny King & the Mayfair Set;      and Mike Sheridan & the Nightriders) making the move to a new group.  

After a string of highly successful singles ("Night of Fear" from 1966;   "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" from 1967;   "Flowers in the Rain"  and  "Fire Brigade" from their debut album 'Move';    "Wild Tiger Woman" from 1968;  and "Blackberry Way"  and "Curly"  from 1969), the band released an album with no singles.  

'Shazam' was produced by Roy Wood, Carl Wayne, Rick Price, and Gerald Chevin at Advision Sound Studios in London.   The sessions featured Roy Wood on lead vocals, guitars; and keyboards;   Carl Wayne on lead vocals and guitars;  Rick Price on vocals and bass;  and Bev Bevan on drums;   with the earlier song "Beautiful Daughter" including Tony Visconti on bass plus an uncredited string quartet.   Kefford had been fired from the band because of his heavy drug use, and Burton switched to bass for a spell before leaving to be replaced by Price.  By the time 'Shazam' was released in February of 1970, Wayne had left the group as well.  






Wood recalls:  "In the early days of the Move I did not have that much say in the politics of the group even though I wrote the songs. I think I would have liked more say...The thing about me is that I've always been trying to get myself established as a writer. It's not as easy as people think to write a song. I can't just sit down and decide to write a hit when I feel like it...I don't think I've got any real regrets about the Move. They were one of the first heavy groups ... When we were in The Move we never really made a lot of money, but as things improved I started collecting instruments from second-hand shops. I’d go in and buy an oboe or a French Horn...I didn’t just want them hanging on the wall, and it was a shame not to play them. Through brute force and ignorance rather than musical finesse, I learned to play them. I could probably play an electric kettle, you know."






"Beautiful Daughter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cig79DDwdg




"Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfdaBrLetM







'Shazam'
full album:

https://myspace.com/themove/music/album/shazam-13463556

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL184E9AC02E271BA4




"Hello Susie" (Roy Wood) – 4:55
"Beautiful Daughter" (Roy Wood) – 2:36
"Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited" (Roy Wood) – 7:40
"Fields Of People" (Wyatt Day/Jon Pierson) – 10:09 (originally by Ars Nova)
"Don't Make My Baby Blue" (Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil) – 6:18 (originally by Frankie Laine, better known in UK by The Shadows)
"The Last Thing on My Mind" (Tom Paxton) – 7:35 (originally by Tom Paxton and, more famously, Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton)


No comments:

Post a Comment