Saturday, July 30, 2011

sublime






Fifteen years ago Sublime hit the big time and the end of the road with their genre-crossing eponymous major label debut. After two albums on the independent Skunk label, the band had been signed to Gasoline Alley of MCA Records by Jon Phillips, who subsequently became the band's manager.
The album was completed before lead singer Bradley Nowell (whose tattooed back is featured on the album cover) died of a heroin overdose on May 25, 1996 at the Oceanview Motel in San Francisco. Nowell's bleak lyrics stand in contrast to the laid back grooves; yet the blend of reggae, punk, ska, and hip hop made 'Sublime' a huge success, hitting number thirteen on the album chart and eventually going five times platinum.



'What I Got' is based on Half Pint's 'Loving' and features a similar melody to the Beatles' 'Lady Madonna'. It went to number one on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got
'Cause you might get run over or you might get shot
Never start no static, I just get it off my chest
Never had to battle with no bulletproof vest
Take a small example, take a tip from me
Take all of your money, give it all to charity
Love is what I got, it's within my reach
Yeah, and the sublime style's still straight from long beach
It all comes back to you, you'll finally get what you deserve
Try and test that, you're bound to get served
Love's what I got, don't start a riot
You'll feel it when the dance gets hot"



The melody heard in 'Santeria' was a reuse of the melody from "Lincoln Highway Dub" featured on their previous album, Robbin' the Hood. It peaked at number three on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

"I don't practice Santeria
I ain't got no crystal ball
Well I had a million dollars but I, I'd spend it all
If I could find that heina and that Sancho that she'd found
Well I'd pop a cap in Sancho and I'd slap her down"



'Doin' Time' is a loose cover of the Jazz standard "Summertime" by George Gershwin. It peaked at number twenty eight on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

"Me and my girl got this relationship
I love her so bad but she treats me like shit
On lock down like a penitentiary
Spreads her lovin' all over
And when she gets home, there's none left for me"



Much of the rhythm and melody of 'Wrong Way' was borrowed from the Specials 'It's Up To You' off their 1979 self-titled album. It peaked at number three on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

"The only family that she's ever had
Is her seven horny brothers and a drunk-ass dad
He needed money so he put her on the street
Everything was going fine until the day she met me
Happy are you sad, wanna shoot your dad
I'll do anything I can
It's the wrong way"




'April 29, 1992 (Miami)' features samples from 'La Di Da Di' by Doug E. Fresh featuring MC Ricky D (a.k.a. Slick Rick), 'Original Gangster of Hip-Hop' by Just Ice, and 'Shook One (Part 1)' by Mobb Deep.

"April 29th, 1992
There was a riot on the streets
Tell me where were you?
You were sittin' home watchin' your TV
While I was paticipating in some anarchy"

No comments:

Post a Comment