Tuesday, July 19, 2011

raising hell










Joseph "Run" Simmons, Darryl "D.M.C." McDaniels, and Jason "Jam-Master Jay" Mizell made a quantum leap forward with their third album and brought rap music into the mainstream. 'Raising Hell' was produced by Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons who mixed drum loops and scratching with hard rock and jazz samples, giving the music more depth than ever heard before in rap. The album broke artistic and commercial barriers and proved that hip hop was a force to be reckoned with, hitting number one on the R&B album chart and number three on the album chart, and making Run-D.M.C. a household name.






http://www.rundmc.com/












"Tricks are for kids he plays much gigs
He's a big bad wolf and you're the three pigs
He's a big bad wolf in your neighborhood
Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good"








"I was high school loser
Never made it with a lady
'Til a boy told me somethin' I missed
That my next door neighbor
Had a daughter had a favor
And I gave the girl just a little kiss, like this"









"When I wake up people take up mostly all of my time
I'm not singin', phone keep ringin' 'cause I make up a rhyme
I'm not braggin', people naggin' 'cause they think I'm a star
Always tearin' what I'm wearin', I think they're goin' too far"







'My Adidas' peaked at number five on the R&B chart and number ten on the dance chart.

"My Adidas, walk through concert doors
And roam all over coliseum floors
I stepped on stage at Live Aid
All the people gave and the poor got paid
And out of speakers I did speak
I wore my sneakers but I'm not a sneak"







'You Be Illin'' made it to number twenty nine on the pop chart and number twelve on the R&B chart.

"The other day around the way I seen you illin' at a party
Drunk as skunk you illin' punk and in your left hand was Bacardi
You went up to this fly girl and said "Yo, yo, can I get this dance?"
She smelt your breath and then she left you standin' in your illin' stance"








They got serious with 'Proud To Be Black'.

"We're gonna tell ya somethin' put your mind in a swirl
God bless the next baby that comes in this world
The world's full of hate discrimination and sin
People judgin' other people by the color of skin
I'll attack this matter, in my own way
Man, I ain't no slave, I ain't reelin' no hay
Written a deposition, in any condition
Don't get in my way cause I'm full of ambition"








'Raising Hell'
full album:



"Peter Piper" – 3:25
"It's Tricky" – 3:03
"My Adidas" (McDaniels/Rubin) – 2:47
"Walk This Way" – 5:17
"Is It Live" – 3:06
"Perfection" – 2:52
"Hit It Run" – 3:10
"Raising Hell" – 5:31
"You Be Illin'" – 3:26
"Dumb Girl" – 3:31
"Son of Byford" – :27
"Proud to Be Black" – 3:14

No comments:

Post a Comment