Monday, April 4, 2011

just my imagination (running away with me)








The Temptations had their third number one hit with this dreamy throwback to their earlier sound. It was the final single to feature founding members Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong wrote the song years before when the band was in their psychedelic soul phase. Motown house band, the Funk Brothers did the music with members of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra performing the horns and strings. The vocals were recorded in the midst of a power struggle between Eddie Kendricks and Otis Williams over the leadership of the band. By the time the song topped the charts, Kendricks had officially left the group and signed a solo deal and Paul Williams had retired for health reasons.


























The Temptations' final live performance on 'The Ed Sullivan Show' was also their final televised appearance with Eddie Kendricks.






Each day through my window I watch her as she passes by.
I say to myself, "You're such a lucky guy."
To have a girl like her
is truly a dream come true.
Out of all of the fellas in the world
she belongs to you...

But it was just my imagination
running away with me.
It was just my imagination
running away with me...

Ooh-hoo-hoo-hooh
Soon we'll be married..
and raise a family.
In a cozy, little home out in the country
with two children, maybe three.
I tell you, I can visualize it all.
This couldn't be a dream for too real it all seems.

But it was just my imagination -- once again --
running away with me.
I tell you it was just my imagination
running away with me...

Every night, on my knees I pray,
"Dear Lord, hear my plea...
don't ever let another take her love from me
or I will surely die.."
Ooh, her love is heavenly;
when her arms enfold me,
I hear a tender rhapsody...
but in reality, she doesn't even know me

Just my imagination -- once again --
running away with me.
Tell you it was just my imagination
running away with me.
I never met her, but I can't forget her.
Just my imagination..
-- ooh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah --
running away with me










'Sky's The Limit'
full album:


All selections written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong, except for "Throw a Farewell Kiss", written by Whitfield and Edward Holland, Jr.. All selections produced by Whitfield.  

Side A
1 "Gonna Keep on Tryin' (Till I Win Your Love)" 3:59  Lead vocals:  Eddie Kendricks
2 "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" 3:48  Lead vocals:  Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams
3 "I'm the Exception to the Rule" 3:27  Lead vocals:  Eddie Kendricks and Dennis Edwards
(spoken introduction by Otis Williams)
4 "Smiling Faces Sometimes" 12:43  Lead vocals:  Eddie Kendricks and Dennis Edwards
Side B
5 "Man" 2:41  Lead vocals:  Eddie Kendricks
6 "Throw a Farewell Kiss" 3:11  Lead vocals:  Dennis Edwards
7 "Ungena Za Ulimwengu (Unite The World)" 4:31  Lead vocals:  Dennis Edwards and Melvin Franklin
8 "Love Can Be Anything (Can't Nothing Be Love But Love)" 9:23  Lead vocals:  Dennis Edwards, Eddie Kendricks, and Melvin Franklin





No comments:

Post a Comment