Thursday, April 16, 2015

people's instinctive travels and the paths of rhythm








A Tribe Called Quest kicked it and blazed a trail with eclectic positivity of this humorous hip hop hybrid.   Q-Tip (Jonathan Davis aka Kamaal Ibn John Fareed) and Phife Dawg (Malik Taylor) were childhood friends from church.  Q-Tip started out as a solo artist MC Love Child, teaming up with his classmate at St. Albans high school in Queens DJ Ali Shaheed Muhammad.  Phife would occasionally join them as Crush Connection; but was also interested in pursuing a basketball career.  It wasn't until Jarobi White joined the crew that Phife committed to the project which started out as Quest.  The group was given their full name A Tribe Called Quest by the members of The Jungle Brothers, who were also students at St. Albans. Q-Tip would appear on their debut album 'Straight Out the Jungle' in 1988 and then on the De La Soul debut '3 Feet High and Rising' in 1989.   A Tribe Called Quest recorded a demo for Geffen Records before signing with independent rap label Jive Records.  




'People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm' was recorded in New York at Calliope Studios, Battery Studios, and Dumb D.J. Towha's DewDrop Inn.  The album was produced and mixed by A Tribe Called Quest with engineers Tim Latham, Bob Power, Anthony Saunders, and Dr. Shane Faber and features vocals by Q-Tip and Phife Dawg with DJ Ali Shaheed Muhammad.  Jarobi White contributed to ideas for some of the songs and background vocals were provided by Lucien.  

'People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm'  reached number ninety-one on the US pop album chart; fifty-four in the UK, and number twenty-three on the US R&B album chart.   Q-Tip looks back:  “When I recorded my first album, I was 19, so I was very much in the moment and did not think about my career past the following year. I knew I loved what I did and had big fun, but I never imagined this...I see the Tribe legacy as one of the strongest in modern music.”








http://atribecalledquest.com/








"I Left My Wallet in El Segundo"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILyWmT2A-Q 



"Can I Kick It?"
Phife fumes:   "That was on our first album and the sample is Lou Reed. Fuck Lou Reed, man! Fuck him. Because we didn’t see no money from that fuckin’ record yet. Really. Here’s what happened - and I take back saying ‘Fuck Lou Reed,’ because Lou Reed has every right to say ‘Give me my motherfucking money,’” he said. “So Lou Reed could have easily said, ‘Oh yeah, a rap group use my shit? Alright.’ No. Anita Baker don’t let nobody use her shit, period. […] So Lou Reed, instead of saying no altogether, he was like, ‘Yeah, nice! Give me the motherfucking money.’ Like Smokey in Friday.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3pyCGnZzYA




"Bonita Applebum"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT0gVTjZEFE







'People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm' 

full album:




1 Push It Along 7:42
2 Luck Of Lucien 4:32
3 After Hours 4:39
4 Footprints 4:00
5 I Left My Wallet in El Segundo 4:06
6 Pubic Enemy 3:45
7 Bonita Applebum 3:50
8 Can I Kick It 4:12
9 Youthful Expression 4:52
10 Rhythm (Devoted to the Art of Moving Butts) 4:01
11 Mr. Muhammad 3:33
12 Ham ’n’ Eggs 5:27
13 Go Ahead in the Rain 3:58
14 Description of a Fool 5:42




No comments:

Post a Comment