Thursday, April 10, 2014

nashville skyline








Bob Dylan embraced country music and found a smooth new voice for the surprisingly satisfying simplicity of this short and sweet serendipitous smile.  Continuing with the stripped down approach of  'John Wesley Harding', he went into the studio with a bunch of Nashville session men.  'Nashville Skyline' was produced by Bob Johnston and featured Dylan on guitar, harmonica, keyboards, and vocals;  with Norman Blake on guitar and dobro;  Kenneth A. Buttrey on drums;  Johnny Cash on vocals;  Fred Carter, Jr. on guitar;  Charlie Daniels on bass guitar and guitar;  Pete Drake on pedal steel guitar;  Charlie McCoy on guitar and harmonica;  Bob Wilson on organ and piano;  Marshall Grant on bass guitar on "Girl from North Country"; W.S. Holland on drums on "Girl from North Country"; and Bob Wootton on electric guitar on "Girl from North Country". 

Dylan revealed later that year in an interview with Jann Wenner for Rolling Stone:    " I went in with uhh... the first time I went into the studio I had, I think, four songs. I pulled that instrumental one out... I needed some songs with an instrumental... then Johnny came in and did a song with me. Then I wrote one in the motel... then pretty soon the whole album started fill in’ in together, and we had an album. I mean, we didn’t go down with that in mind. That’s why I wish you were there... you could’ve really seen it happen. It just manipulated out of nothing...We just take a song; I play it and everyone else just sort of fills in behind it. No sooner you got that done, and at the same time you’re doing that, there’s someone in the control booth who’s turning all those dials to where the proper sound is coming in... and then it’s done. Just like that...There’s not too much of a change in my singing style, but I’ll tell you something which is true... I stopped smoking. When I stopped smoking, my voice changed... so drastically, I couldn’t believe it myself. That’s true. I tell you, you stop smoking those cigarettes (laughter)... and you’ll be able to sing like Caruso... I always like to tie the name of the album in with some song. Or if not some song, some kind of general feeling. I think that just about fit because it was less in the way, and less specific than any of the other ones on there.  Certainly couldn’t call the album “Lay, Lady Lay.” I wouldn’t have wanted to call it that, although that name was brought up. It didn’t get my vote, but it was brought up. “Peggy Day – Lay, Peggy Day,” that was brought up. A lot of things were brought up. “Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here with Peggy Day.” That’s another one. Some of the names just didn’t seem to fit. “Girl From the North Country.” That was another title which didn’t really seem to fit. Picture me on the front holding a guitar and “Girl From the North Country” printed on top. (laughs) “Tell Me That It Isn’t Peggy Day.” I don’t know who thought of that one."

As when he made the move from folk to electric, his move to country disappointed many fans; and yet, 'Nashville Skyline' became one of his most successful albums, going to number three in the US, two in Australia, and number one in the UK.  His appearances on 






http://www.bobdylan.com











"Girl from the North Country" (with Johnny Cash) 

Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash - Girl from the North... by Palaiokostas1







"I Threw It All Away" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLwhDb7J7TY&feature=kp







"Lay Lady Lay" 
The single went to thirteen in Ireland, seven in the US, and five in the UK. Dylan said: "There’s a movie out now, called 'Midnight Cowboy'. You know the song on the album, “Lay, Lady, Lay”? Well, I wrote that song for that movie. These producers, they wanted some music for their movie. This was last summer. And this fellow there asked me, you know, if I could do some music for their movie. So I came up with that song. By the time I came up with it, though it was too late. (Laughs) It’s the same old story all the time. It’s just too late... so I kept the song and recorded it."https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWz88VY-FkA








"Tonight I'll Be Staying Here with You" 
http://www.last.fm/music/Bob+Dylan/Nashville+Skyline/Tonight+I%27ll+Be+Staying+Here+with+You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynk-jFMsNRQ






'Nashville Skyline' 

full album:


http://www.bobdylan.com/us/music/nashville-skyline


http://www.last.fm/music/Bob+Dylan/Nashville+Skyline




All songs written by Bob Dylan. 

Side one
1. "Girl from the North Country" (duet with Johnny Cash) 3:41
2. "Nashville Skyline Rag" 3:12
3. "To Be Alone with You" 2:07
4. "I Threw It All Away" 2:23
5. "Peggy Day" 2:01
Side two
1. "Lay Lady Lay" 3:18
2. "One More Night" 2:23
3. "Tell Me That It Isn't True" 2:41
4. "Country Pie" 1:37
5. "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here with You" 3:23






No comments:

Post a Comment