Friday, February 15, 2013

plastic letters








Blondie took their new wave doo-wop into the secret stratosphere with the bubblegum punk of this confident and catchy crossover communiqué. Like their eponymous debut, 'Plastic Letters' was produced by Richard Gottehrer at Plaza Sound Studio in New York. The band was still with Private Stock Records at the time of the recording; but Chrysalis Records bought out their contract. Bassist Gary Valentine left for a solo career just before they started, reducing them to a quartet. The sessions featured Deborah Harry on vocals; Chris Stein on guitar, bass guitar, and vibraphone; James Destri on piano, organ, synthesizer, and background vocals; and Clem Burke on drums and background vocals; with Frank "the Freak" Infante filling in on bass guitar and background vocals; and Dale Powers on background vocals.

Stein recalls the Fifth Avenue at 17th Street photo shoot: “For the second album cover, we got a police car that was not a real police car — the police department had a small version of one that they would use for photo and film shoots. There was a sign in the background that said ‘Plastic Letters’ — that’s where the album title came from.”



Harry says: "Chris and I were both very influenced by different styles and wanted to have Blondie incorporate different elements....Today it's common, but back then it wasn't, we got some flak for it. People were hesitant, they wanted to stay in their little genres. I think we stated in the first album we were about a new blend and we wanted to make that clear...[The band] 'sort of revitalized the concept of songs and dancing in rock...We came along during this big guitar period when everyone sat around and just listened. Part of our goal was (to get them) dancing again. But I don't think anyone in the band really expected to (become as big) as we did ... We were part of the punk scene. What happened is that punk, later on, became identified with a certain style of music because of the Ramones and, originally, the punk scene was about a sensibility, about a point of view, about an attitude. So we fell into that, definitely, because a lot of our songs were sort of anti-social and different political stance, especially for women. So, in that respect, we were definitely of the punk sensibility."




'Plastic Letters' went to number seventy-two in the US, sixty-four in Australia, thirty-eight in New Zealand, thirty-three in Sweden, ten in the UK, nine in Germany, and number two in the Netherlands. It has been certified platinum in the UK.









http://www.blondie.net/










'(I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear' hit number ten in the UK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9xULGAEavY



Was it destiny

I don't know yet
Was it just by chance? Could this be Kismet?
Something in my consciousness told me you'd appear
Now I'm always touched by your presence dear
When we play at cards you use an extra sense (it's really not cheating)
You can read my hand, I've got no defence
When you sent your messages whispered loud and clear
I am always touched by your presence dear
Floating past the evidence of possibilities
We could navigate together, psychic frequencies
Coming into contact with outer entities
We could entertain each one with our theosophies
Stay awake at night and count your R.E.M.'s when you're talking with your super friends
Levitating lovers in the secret stratosphere
I am still in touch with your presence dear
I am still in touch with your presence dear
I am still in touch with your presence dear, dear, dear, dear, dear
'Denis' was a cover of the song 'Denise' by Randy and the Rainbows. It went to number twelve in Australia, six in Germany, and number two in the UK. 



Oh Denis doo-be-do

I’m in love with you, Denis doo-be-do
I’m in love with you, Denis doo-be-do
I’m in love with you
Denis Denis, oh with your eyes so blue
Denis Denis, I’ve got a crush on you
Denis Denis, I’m so in love with you
Oh when we walk it always feels so nice
and when we talk it seems like paradise
Denis Denis I’m so in love with you
You're my king and I’m in heaven every time I look at you
when you smile it's like a dream
and I’m so lucky 'cause I found a boy like you
Denis Denis, avec tes yeux si bleus
Denis Denis, moi j'ai flashé nous deux
Denis Denis, un grand baiser d'éternité
Denis Denis, je suis si folle de toi
Denis Denis, oh embrasse-moi ce soir
Denis Denis, un grand baiser d'éternité
Oh Denis doo-be-do
I’m in love with you, Denis doo-be-do
I’m in love with you, Denis doo-be-do





'Plastic Letters' 

full album: 



00:00 - Fan Mail
(James Destri) 
02:39 - Denis
(Neil Levenson) 
04:58 - Bermuda Triangle Blues (Flight 45)
(Chris Stein) 
07:47 - Youth Napped as Sniper
(Stein) 
10:51 - Contact in Red Square
(Destri) 
12:56 - (I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear
(Gary Valentine) 
15:41 - I'm on E
(Deborah Harry, Stein) 
18:00 - I Didn't Have the Nerve to Say No
(Destri, Harry) 
20:52 - Love at the Pier
(Harry) 
23:22 - No Imagination
(Destri) 
26:18 - Kidnapper
(Destri) 
28:56 - Detroit 442
(Destri, Stein) 
31:26 - Cautious Lip
(Stein, Ronnie Toast) 












No comments:

Post a Comment