Thursday, February 21, 2013

child is father to the man








Blood, Sweat, & Tears made their brassy debut with this innovative fusion of jazz and classical music with psychedelic rock and blues. Al Kooper formed the group with Bobby Colomby, Steve Katz, and Jim Fielder and they played in clubs around New York. They named the group after the album by Johnny Cash.  Fred Lipsius joined the group and then brought in Randy Brecker, Dick Halligan, and Jerry Weiss to secure the lineup for their first album. They signed to Colombia Records and recorded 'Child is Father to the Man' in just under two weeks with producers Bob Irwin and John Simon. The sessions featured Randy Brecker on trumpet and flugelhorn; Bobby Colomby on drums, percussion, and vocals; Jim Fielder on bass guitar and fretless bass guitar; Dick Halligan on trombone; Steve Katz on guitar, lute, and vocals; Al Kooper on organ, piano, ondioline, and vocals; Fred Lipsius on piano and alto saxophone; and Jerry Weiss on trumpet, flugelhorn, and vocals; with The Manny Vardi Strings: Anahid Ajemian on violin; Fred Catero on sound effects; Harold Coletta on viola; Al Gorgoni on organ, guitar, and vocals; Paul Gershman, Manny Green, Julie Held, Harry Katzman, Leo Kruczek, Harry Lookofsky, Gene Orloff on violin; Doug James on shaker; Charles McCracken and Alan Schulman on cello; Melba Moorman and Valerie Simpson on choir and chorus. John Simon conducted and played organ, piano, and cowbell. Arrangements were done by Fred Catero, Al Gorgoni, Fred Lipsius, Alan Schulman, and John Simon.

The sound was an eclectic mix that drew from varied musical styles and utilized extensive studio gimmickry. 'Child is Father to the Man' made it to number forty-seven on the US album chart. Kooper left the group over personal differences just a few months later. Kooper remembers:    "I sort of got thrown out of the band, so that made me tired of being in bands I was in and I found it extremely annoying. All I wanted to do was to do what it is I did and people had problems with it. So I said, I don't want to piss people off. I just want to play music and I can't make these politics. There's so many politics in a band. So, I said I'm not doing this anymore. It doesn't make any sense. I don't want people to be mad at me. I just want to play music. In Blood, Sweat and Tears, I had an idea and I brought it to fruition. I didn't know if it was going to be a hit or not, but it was certainly music that I thought people should hear. The other guys in the band that stayed in the band, wanted to make hit record, period. I didn't want to do that. I wanted to explore this sound that I came up with. And so I left. And frankly, I don't think I could have stood behind what they did. I found some of it embarrassing."










www.bloodsweatandtears.com


www.alkooper.com








'Child is Father to the Man'

full album:





1."Overture" (Kooper)
2."I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" (Kooper) 
3."Morning Glory" (Larry Beckett, Tim Buckley) – 4:16
4."My Days Are Numbered" (Kooper) – 3:19
5."Without Her" (Harry Nilsson) – 2:41
6."Just One Smile" (Randy Newman) – 4:38
7."I Can't Quit Her" (Kooper, Irwin Levine) – 3:38
8."Meagan's Gypsy Eyes" (Steve Katz) – 3:24
9."Somethin' Goin' On" (Kooper) – 8:00
10."House in the Country" (Kooper) – 3:04
11."The Modern Adventures of Plato, Diogenes and Freud" (Kooper) – 4:12
12."So Much Love"/"Underture" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 4:47









My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.

-William Wordsworth, March 26, 1802

No comments:

Post a Comment